46

TJOAIC 46 – UNVEILING ONE’S MIGHT (发威)

The so-called act of “serving ink” was actually just to grind ink and serve tea in the imperial study. Naturally, there would not be any instances of a “young beauty accompanying the scholar as he studied¹.” Feng Jin was a very responsible emperor. Those who were responsible could separate government affairs and play. In his eyes, women were only for amusement and recreational purposes. However, when he dealt with government affairs, women were merely dispensable decorations. At the very least, after Zhuang Laoyan had been in the imperial study for so long, not once did she see the emperor glance at her with an amorous gaze.  

“Your Majesty, the Assistant Minister of the Ministry of Personnel, Sir Su, has asked for an audience,” said Gao Dezhong in a soft voice as he entered the room.  

After hearing those words, Zhuang Laoyan looked at Feng Jin. Noticed that he appeared willing to allow Sir Su entry. She placed down the book in her hands in a natural manner, making her way to the inner chamber behind the divider screen.

Glancing at the divider screen, Feng Jin said in a neutral tone, “Let him in.” 

Who knew what kind of relationship existed between the Assistant Minister of the Ministry of Personnel, Sir Su, and Noble Consort Shu? Zhuang Laoyan sized up the inner chamber. The decorations and items followed protocol to an immense degree, not too luxurious or exquisite. It truly resembled the inner chamber of an emperor. On the contrary, it seemed boring.  

The sounds in the study could be faintly heard in the inner chamber. Zhuang Laoyan didn’t have the mood to listen to those things. In her opinion, the more one knew, the worse it could be for oneself. However, the moment she suddenly caught the name “Zhuang Qingzhi,” she felt something was amiss. This Assistant Minister Su seemed to be filing a complaint. Furthermore, wasn’t this Zhuang Qingzhi her full-blooded elder brother?   

“Beloved subject Su, do you have concrete evidence of this?” said Feng Jin with a tranquil expression, peering down at the kneeling Su Konglan. Slowly, he closed the memorial in his hands, making others unsure of which side he believed in more.  

“This humble servant dares not slander Sir Zhuang.” Su Konglan raised his head a hint, catching sight of the emperor’s serene expression. Then he quickly looked down again, many beads of sweat springing from his forehead.

“We understand. We will have someone investigate this matter. You’re dismissed.”  

“This humble official will take his leave.”  

The study once again grew quiet. Zhuang Laoyan had sat in the inner chamber silently for about an hour, before an eunuch came to tell her to continue her task. Once she had left the inner chamber attached to the study, she looked at the emperor. Feng Jin’s expression still seemed neutral. As if the person mentioned earlier, Zhuang Qingzhi, wasn’t her elder brother, and the person who had filed a complaint wasn’t the elder brother of Noble Consort Shu. Her heart thumped. Such an emperor with profound thoughts was the most terrifying. She had been wondering why he would have the mood to play out this kind of “young beauty accompanying the scholar as he studied” instance, and even chose a person like her who had no interest in poetry. So it turned out he wanted her to hear this.   

But was this action of the emperor to warn the Zhuang family or to incite problems between the Zhuang and Su families? Although Zhuang Laoyan had some measures, she did not have the confidence to scheme with politics.

Face full of difficulty, she said, “Your Majesty…”    

“A few days ago, an imperial chef from Sichuan arrived. Beloved concubine has always liked to eat gourmet food. In a little while, accompany Us for the noon meal.” Feng Jin smiled. As though he did not notice the look of difficulty on Zhuang Laoyan’s face. He placed the memorial in his hand to the side.