78

The atmosphere outside the bedroom was oppressive to the max. Expressionless, the emperor looked at the bloody hammer. The empress stood at the side with an unsightly expression, making Noble Consort Shu and the others even less daring to talk rashly.  

"There are many duties to take care of in the imperial harem. Originally, We thought you all could manage the harem well. But in the end, so many bad things happened." Feng Jin was very unhappy. He swept the porcelain teacup with blue flower decorations at his side to the ground. All of a sudden, he stood. Looked at the four women. Following that, he turned to the empress. "We don't care what method you use. You must find this poisonous woman. We cannot use such a woman in the imperial harem."      

The empress curtsied. "This concubine will definitely get to the bottom of this." The emperor had given this task to her. At the very least, this proved that this matter had nothing to do with her. As for the others... The empress' gaze chilled. She also itched to know just who caused her authority in the harem to be shaken.

"You all are dismissed," said Feng Jin, waving, not wanting to see them anymore.  

They saluted him and then left Xihe Palace in silence. Using Heyu's hand for support, the empress sighed. "This palace never thought such a vicious-hearted person would be in the harem. It truly frightens people."  

"It's not only Your Majesty the empress who is surprised. This concubine is very frightened too," said Noble Consort Shu with a smile. "What a pity that Xianrong Zhao was framed. If she hadn't been framed back then, then her nametag would not have been removed from the selection. And perhaps, she could have avoided this happening to her."     

"Who would know what happens in the future?" said Noble Consort Xian, tone carrying pity. "We can only blame this vicious person who has set their heart on harming Xianrong Zhao. How unfortunate that Xianrong Zhao is so young, yet already suffered such a torment. Thankfully, she could keep her life. Otherwise..." A sigh left her lips.  

The empress looked at Noble Consort Shu, before boarding her sedan. "This palace will certainly investigate this matter thoroughly. Hopefully the culprit won't think they can escape punishment by luck."  

"Respectfully sending off Your Majesty the empress." A smile blooming on her lips, Noble Consort Shu watched the empress leave. Once the sedan was a few steps away, her smile gradually dimmed. Then she turned toward Noble Consort Xian with an insincere smile. "Noble Consort Xian is actually concerned about Xianrong Zhao." Following that, she climbed onto her sedan to leave without waiting for Noble Consort Xian's response.  

Silent, Consort Ning watched as the other three crossed swords with their words. Once they had left, she boarded her own sedan. Looked back at the front doors of Xihe Palace. The lanterns swayed in the night breeze, giving off an unspeakable sense of desolation.  

Once again, Xihe Palace grew quiet. Feng Jin sat on a chair outside the bedroom. He still did not move even after his newly-presented tea lost all its steam.    

"Your Majesty, it's getting late." As the steward eunuch that always stayed by the emperor's side, Gao Dezhong knew that the emperor's emotions were in disorder. So he needed to console him.   

"We know." Feng Jin rose to his feet. Just when Gao Dezhong thought he wanted to leave, he saw Feng Jin turn around and enter the bedroom.  

In the past, Gao Dezhong often came here; there used to be many fragrances, yet no scent of medicine. But today, there was not even one fragrance here. The only smell around was a pungent medicinal scent. On a corner shelf sat a bonsai pine tree, still fresh and green as before. And a water lily that did not have a sliver of green left.