Chapter 13 - Afterwards

Hey, before we get to the story, I just need to say that it's going to take a little longer to get the chapters ready as I have a lot going on right now. The most you will likely have to wait is one week. I thank you for understanding, now back to the story.

Pain pov

"Let's go, Hinata." She had just taken out her old teacher and was bringing her along. "Fine by me if she comes along, just make sure she's out the whole way."

"Yes sir." Hinata replied.

"I'm proud of you. You've grown quite a bit in the last year." She looked surprised that I said that.

"Th-thanks."

Sakura pov

Lady Tsunade was in critical condition. She had a serious head wound and two major arteries were severed. We had been trying to operate on her for 2 hours before her chakra network started shutting down.

"No no no!" I half yelled. "Stay with us Lady Tsunade! Someone go get Shizune!"

Lady Tsunade eventually stabilized and we had to let her rest and recover from there. Its only been a few days and we still have far too many patients. I thought to myself.

Since Lady Tsunade was out of the question, Shizune was the temporary head medical ninja. She chose me to be her second in command so the two of us are dealing with the more severe cases.

"Sakura." Shizune came up behind me and handed me a folder. "I need you to take this to Kakashi. It's about Lady Tsunade's condition." I nodded and left.

I can't believe Hinata-our Hinata-would do something like this. Does she really not care anymore?

"Ah Sakura. How are you?" Kakashi sensei walked up to me, smiling . . . I think.

"I'm alright. The hospital is still packed full of patients." I replied. "Oh! Right, Shizune asked me to give this you. It's the full report of Lady Tsunade's condition."

"I see. Thank you." He took the file, said goodbye, and left. I wonder if he's scared . . . My face dropped. What's going to happen to Naruto and Kurenai sensei? Hinata wouldn't really betray us . . . Would she?

Silently, I walked back to the hospital. Maybe they're forcing her. No, I saw the way she looked at us. She was so quiet and stuttery before, and now she's so . . . I don't know. Different?

Shizune saw me as i walked in and gave me 3 more patients. "After these we're done for the day. I can treat you to dinner if you want."

"Thanks, but I think I'm just going to go home. I'm still pretty shaken up from everything." She gave me a sympathetic smile.

"That's fine too. But if you change your mind, I'll be at the dumpling shop."

Asuma pov

"Asuma! Asuma, help!"

Kurenai!

"Asuma, help me please!"

Where are you?! I can't see you!

"Asuma!"

"Kurenai!" I woke up screaming and in a pool of sweat. I remembered my surroundings, quickly came back to reality, and sighed.

"Day 6 and she's still missing." My head dropped into my hands. "I'm so sorry Kurenai . . . I couldn't protect you."