Chapter 26 - Going Home

3rd pov

The combined power of Naruto Uzumaki and Kurama was far too much for the Akatsuki secret base, as everywhere they walked, walls crumbled and exploded. The people running behind him stared in awe as they continued towards the exit.

Team 10 joined them about halfway to the entrance and people were just kept finding and running with them to get out. By now, one could swear it was an angry mob following some weird glowing entity.

When they reached the surface, they were given quite the sight.

Hanabi Hyuga, the most docile of everyone on the mission, was attacking the leader of the Akatsuki with extreme rage, the rest of the Hyuga family were in critical condition, Pain was trapped underneath an ink beast, completely bloodied up, and absolutely no one knew what to do about it.

"Hanabi, calm down!"

"YOU TOOK HER AWAY FROM ME!!!"

"Kid! Back off!"

She gave anyone who tried to stop her a merciless death glare. Byakugan fully activated in her rage.

"DON'T. GET. IN. MY. WAY."

Even though there was a terrifying 16 year old girl beating the life out of the leader of the Akatsuki, the Fox knew that no one was really in danger, so he allowed his chakra to rest. With no more extra power, Naruto dropped to his knees and passed out.

After that, everyone stopped. Hanabi seem to have gotten her anger out and everything was silent. Nobody moved. Everyone stared. The person they came to save just saved them . . . And then passed out. The only sound coming from his breathing.

"Um . . ." Shizune began. "Should we maybe . . ?" She pointed to Naruto, Neji, and Tenten all unconscious on the ground.

"Yeah, uh, probably."

Eventually, the rest of the shinobi forces had evacuated the crumbling underground fortress and had even managed to capture Konan of the Akatsuki.

"She appears to have passed out due to fatigue." One of the Medics carrying her spoke. "Minimal injuries, slight head trauma, and bleeding of her lower right leg as well."

"Bring her over here." Sakura instructed. "Lady Tsunade will want to interrogate both her and their leader for information. Was anyone else captured?"

"No ma'am. They appear to have escaped."

At this moment, Kurenai chirped in. "The woman is Konan and the man is called Pain. Konan was the only person other than Hinata who . . Um . . . "Visited" me while I was in that cell. She's also the second in command of the Akatsuki."

"Thank you, Kurenai." Shizune placed her hand on Kurenai's shoulder. "This is very helpful information. You should rest now, okay?"

Kurenai nodded in response and allowed Shizune to lead her away. After making sure that everyone got out safely, the shinobi that could still stand carried the two captured Akatsuki members and their wounded comrades back to the Hidden Leaf village.

Back in the Leaf
A few hours later
Hospital room 203

Kurenai Yuhi sat in her hospital bed, ready to be home again. Though they had only just returned, she already felt as though she had been waiting years for a doctor to check up on her.

She was ready to go home. She was ready to see Asuma. She was ready to wake up in her own bed and to water her flowers and read her books just like it was before. She was ready to train with and go on missions with her team just like before.

But it wouldn't be like before. The old Hinata was gone. Destroyed by the Akatsuki. She was one of them now. And she might never come back.

"Kurenai-sensei?" The door opened slightly to reveal Kiba and Shino. "Uh. . Can we come in?"

Kurenai nodded and the door opened the rest of the way. Akamaru was whining in Kiba's jacket, causing a small chuckle to come from the bedridden woman.

"Are you alright, sensei?" Shino asked.

". . . Sorry we uh . . Couldn't do anything." Kiba looked down. "We tried to follow you but everyone kept telling us to go somewhere else . . . "

Kurenai smiled softly. "You had other things people needed you to do. You were able to help other people. That's what's more important."

"Thank you sensei." The two boys spoke simultaneously.

Yaaaaaaay! Happy ending! . . . At least for this chapter . . .