14: Return of the Trollhunter

After what had happened at the Bridge, everyone insisted I stay home for a while and leave the trollhunting to them for a few days.
Since mom was at work and I never interacted with anyone outside of school, I hung out with Draal in the basement.
Sometimes we would just sit in silence as I did my homework.
Like right now.
"Divide by seven and X equals three." I mumbled to myself.
"I still do not understand your 'math'." Draal stated.
I shrugged.
"Do you want to?" I asked, solving the next problem.
"No. Jim makes it sound like torture." Draal stated.
I laughed softly, glancing up at him.
"For most, it is. For some, it's simple. It's not as hard as people make it out to be." I stated, closing the book, my pencil marking the page I was on.
I lay the book to the side as I heard the door open and close.
"Jim's back." I stated.
"How are you doing, now that you are banned from helping Jim?" Draal asked.
"I've been doing alright. I mean, I understand why he doesn't want me too, but I can't wait to get started again." I replied, holding my hand out and letting a flower grow from my hand, hovering above my palm.
Once it bloomed, I gently took it into my hand and lifted it into the air.
I let it float around before moving my hand slightly towards it, fowers of different kinds blooking around it, forming a circle.
I plucked it from the air, now on my feet.
I walked over to Draal and placed it on top his head, smiling.
He looked at me in shock, making me laugh.
He looked cute.
In a adorable kinda way that is.
I heard Jim coming down the stairs and I quickly made two more.
I placed one on my head, white and purple flowers surrounding black roses to match my necklace.
Jim stopped and I turned to him smiling.
I moved towards him and placed the blue and white flower crown on his head.
"Why?" He asked simply.
"Cause I felt like it." I replied, turning away.
Jim and Draal exchanged a look as I hummed, grabbing my book.
"I'm going to bed. Goodnight." I said, moving up the stairs.
"Goodnight, Skylar." Jim called after me as Draal snorted.
I closed the door behind me and rolled my eyes.
My excuse had fooled them.
I walked out the backdoor, shooting into the sky as soon as my wings opened.
I had left my book on the porch.
I landed in the meadow I was in before, the one where I first tested my powers.
It had become my personal training grounds.
Jim had his heroes forge and I had this.
I sat down on my rock, putting my hand on one of the roots that surrounded it.
Flowers sprouted, flowing from the start of the tree, along the roots, and spreading across the grass.
This had become my specialty in during my time.
I had also learned how to cause lightning to take place in the sky, cause earthquakes, cover the sun with shadows...
I mastered every skill, all except light.
It was harder to use then the others, but I was determined to master it too.
I closed my eyes, sitting in a relaxed position.
I took a deep breath in, stretching my wings out.
I could form a ball of light and I could make my wings glow, but nothing more.
I needed to master it, my predecessor said I needed to master them all when she visited me a second time.
Telling me that she had, and that I would be able to do the same.
Another breath and I opened my eyes.
Small balls of light glowed around me, reminding me of fireflies.
They floated around in the air and I stood from my rock, stretching out my hands.
I pulled the lights from the right closer to me before doing the same with the left.
My wings started glowing brightly as I pulled the light towards me.
I closed my eyes, taking one more breath before throwing my hands out, spinning in a circle.
I opened my eyes, seeing the light push away from me.
I raised my hands to the sky once I stopped from spinning.
All the lights shot upward, towards the sky.
They spread out, scattering themselves across the sky.
I heard a stick snap, causing me to drop my hands and the lights to disappear.
I shot into the air and flew towards home, just in case.
I landed in the backyard, hiding my wings after folding them and I picked up my book.
I walked inside and snuck into my room.

The next morning, Jim was making omlets.
I was punching my bag, needing something to keep up with my fight.
I couldn't depend on my abilities forever.
Draal woke and looked over at me, causing me to stop.
"Morning." I stated, moving towards the stairs.
He snorted in a tired manner and I walked up the stairs.
"Morning mom." I heard Jim say.
"Hi." She replied with.
I snuck behind her and leaned against the wall, watching the two.
"Made your facorite breakfast." Jim stated.
"Sorry, kiddo. In a rush." She replied, pouring cereal.
"Looks like we're in the dog house Jim. What'd she want to know?" I asked once she walked away.
"When we were in the woods. She wanted to know what really happened." He replied.
I nodded, grabbing the plate with the omlet.
"Well, if she's not going to eat it, I will." I stated.
"We both will." He stated, cutting it in half.
"Good idea." I replied, grabbing two forks.
He smiled at me, knowing I was trying to make him feel better.
We ate quickly and then left for school.
I got on my skateboard as he got on his bike.
We met up with Toby and continued on to school.
When we got to school, I flipped up my board, tucking it under my arm as Jim and Toby locked up their bikes.
"Oh, no. Dillweed, five o'clock." Toby warned.
I spotted Steve and his clones.
"Lake, Jumbo, Freak." Steve greeted.
"They fixed your tooth, now all they gotta do is fix your face." Jim stated, making me smirk.
"What did you just say? When I get you alone, payback's coming." Steve threatened.
I rolled my eyes at him and fixed the flower crown I made yesterday.
We walked into class, throwing our books onto our desks before sitting down.
After they mumbled to eachother, Claire pushed her chair back, catching our attention.
"So when are we saving my brother?" She asked, making me sigh.
"Claire, we can't just waltz into the Darklands." Jim explained for the umpteenth time.
"We just saved the trolls by keeping Killahead Bridge closed." Toby stated before adding, "Imagine what they'll do to us if they find out we want to open it."
"This is my brother and NotEnrique's driving me nuts. You know how many times I have to change him? He knows how to use the toilet. He chooses the diaper." Claire complained.
"I get it. We'll get him back. We just can't rik releasing Gunmar." Jim stated.
"Admit it, you're going back on your word." Claire stated, making me scoff.
"Don't even try guilt tripping him. We need a good plan. It's hard to make a good plan when we have no idea what the Darklands are like. For now, we'll wait for chompsky, we'll work from their. We'll get Enrique back." I stated.
She huffed, turning around in her chair.
The school bell then rang, signaling the beginning of class.
"Okay, if it makes you feel any better. Blinky said we can bring you." Jim said, not liking the silent treatment.
"To Trollmarket? Seriously? When?" She asked, excited.
"Are we going now?" She asked.
"After school." Jim and I stated.
Him in a kinder tone, me in an annoyed one.
"But try not to let the whole world know." Jim joked.
"All right, butts in seats. You too, Nunez." Coach Lawrence stated, walking in.
"Since Strickler's a no-show, I'm subbin' in. We got some book learnin' to do." He added.
"Okay, people, who can tell me what happened in the year 1989?" He asked.
I shot my hand up.
He turned to us, having a dumbfounded look.
"Ms. Lake." He called.
"George Bush became president. There was an Exxon Valdez oil spill. The Loma Prieta earthquake, Galileo and its Inertial Upper Stage booster was deployed by the Space Shuttle Atlantis on the STS-34 mission and the united states invasion of Panama. In that order." I replied.
Everyone whispered, making me shrink in my seat.
"Sorry, I remember things easily." I stated.
He raised a brow and tested me for the rest of class.
"1967?" He asked for the final question.
"Vietnam war." Was my reply, just as the bell rang.

Once school ended we went to the Canals.
Jim, Claire, and Toby stood infront of me, talking.
I wasn't particularly fond of Claire at the moment.
I wasn't jealous, I was just annoyed with her.
We walked through the door-way made by Claire.
I let my wings appear as it closed behind us.
The stairs lit up, making Claire run down in excitement.
She stopped to hear the rules, as Toby was explaining them.
With a sigh, I threw myself off the edge, flying down.
I landed and started walking.
I made it to Arrrgh in Blinky, Claire close behind.
I rolled my eyes when she won the two over with ease.
She then ran off, soon coming across Vendel.
My eyes widened when she started speaking troll.
Of course she would win over Vendel.
She had everyone wrapped around her finger.
"Skylar, you coming?" Jim asked.
"I'll catch up." I stated, walking away towards the heroes forge.
I flew across the bridge, seeing Draal when I landed.
"Hey, Draal." I greeted, seeing what he was doing.
He turned to me, smiling some.
"Skylar." He greeted in turn.
I walked up to him.
"Is that your father?" I asked, studying the stone.
"It is." He replied, I then glanced at the arm.
"How is that doing for you?" I asked, gesturing to it.
He flexed the fingers.
"It's alright." He replied, making me nod.
"Want any help?" I asked.
"No." He growled out, making me take a step back.
I nodded, swallowing.
I opened my wings and flew up to my ledge, sitting down.
"The Heroes forge!" I heard Toby exclaim, making me sigh.
The rest of their talking I didn't care for.
Suddenly everything went haywire when Claire turned in on, just as I let my wings disappear.
I just watched, not really caring in that moment.
A few minutes later, Jim and Blinky were running over.
Draal was trying to shut it off, Claire was fine, but Toby wasn't.
I still didn't do anything.
Not even when Claire started sliding.
Jim soon shut everything off, slowing Claires slide as everything went back into place.
"Skylar, get down here!" Claire ordered after a few minutes.
I rolled my eyes, pushing myself off the ledge.
At the last second I summoned my wings, landing just infront of her.
"What can I do for you?" I asked, a bored tone to my voice.
"You're brother, Jim. He's been summoned." She stated.
"And?" I asked.
"And you're not worried?" Toby asked.
"Do I look like I'm worried?" I asked in turn, looking to him.
"Not even the slightest bit?" Claire asked.
"He's made it clear that he doesn't need me." I replied, moving past them.
A hand fell on my shoulder and without a second thought I turned, metal appearing and forming into a sword in my hand.
I pushed whomever it was to the wall, sword to their throat.
"Don't touch me." I spat when I realized it was Draal.
I pushed away from him, making the metal disappear from my hand.
I started walking again, arms crossed and wings folded.
I could feel the tears start to fall, but I wouldn't dare let them see.
I spread out my wings when I was halfway across the bridge and I shot forward, flying through Trollmarket and to the door.
I shot into the sky once I made it out and started flying to my spot.
I landed on my rock, curling my wings around me as I pulled my legs into my chest, tucking my head down.
Tears streaked my cheeks as I cried.
I allowed myself to sob freely, knowing no one could hear me.
Once I finished, I felt better.
For the first time in a long time, that dark cloud lifted.