Chapter 12

Claire's pov.

I woke up in Holden's bed and he was laying next to me. I remembered everything that happened the night before and immediately freaked out, causing myself to fall out of his bed to get away from him.

I quickly crawled over to a wall and put my back against it, as he got out of bed and started walking towards me.

"Please stay away from me!" I stretched out my arm and put my hand up, as if that would really stop him.

"Claire," the way my name rolled off his tongue sent shivers all over my body, "I would never hurt you."

I could hear the sincerity in his voice, but the memory of last night was playing through my mind in a loop. Part of me wanted to believe him and to tell him it was alright. The other part of me was focused on self preservation and that meant staying the hèll away from him.

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. He looked at a thing on his wrist and tapped it, making the time project upward. He tapped it once again and the time disappeared from the air.

"I've got a meeting to attend in about an hour. Given the circumstances, I'll let you stay here. You can watch the television, clean yourself up, or just rest. The choice is completely up to you." He said without looking at me, almost making me feel bad.

He got up without another word and made his way to the bathroom. I stayed in my little corner, too afraid to move anywhere else while he was here.

He emerged out of the bathroom about twenty minutes later. A towel was hanging dangerously low on his hips. It felt my whole body blushed and I mentally cursed myself for it. I think he caught my reaction and I saw his lips curve up into a smirk, but he never said anything to me.

I watched him step into the closet and a few moments later come out completely dressed. It didn't matter if this man was dress or just in a towel, he looked good either way. His muscular arms looked as if they were going to rip through the material at any second. It took all of my focus not to stare at this man.

"Alright," he adjusted one of the cuffs on his shirt around his wrist, "I'll be back in an hour."

I stiffened, remembering the last time he left me alone.

"Don't worry, I've taken Vera out of the security system. Nobody is allowed in or out of here, except me." He reassured me, but I could tell he was informing me I couldn't leave either.

I didn't answer him back. I just nodded and brought my knees up to my chest, still sitting in my corner. His lips parted like he wanted to say something else, but he quickly left the room instead.

I felt like I could finally breathe normally. I slowly got up from the corner and started looking around the room. I just needed to find a way out. There was no way I was staying here with a soul sucking vampire.

The main door was obviously a no go. I didn't want to risk setting off an alarm and bringing him back in here. That left the windows. I walked over to them and inspected them. They had no latches or anywhere to pull them open. I tapped on one of them and it shot up into the building. Peering out over the edge, I almost gave up immediately. The drop was so far down, at least three stories.

"There's gotta be enough cloth I can tie together in here." I wondered outloud and half ran over to his closet.

I pulled shirts, pants and whatever else I could find out. I piled all of it on his bed and started tying them all together. I also stripped his bed of the blanket and sheets, tying them to the fabric chain I had made.