Chapter 27

Claire's pov.

Running out of the ball room, I kicked my heels off to move faster. I knew he couldn't be too far behind me. I made my way to the second floor of the building, trying to get away from any Leviathans that we could bump into.

"Claire? You can't run forever." I heard Holden's words echo through the place.

"Holden, you can't be near me. You can't touch me. You're not in your right mind." I answered him back.

"I won't mark you. I have more control than that." He sounded closer.

"Yeah, your sister thought the same thing." I thought sarcastically.

I moved into a different room, closing the door as quietly as I could. I heard his footsteps go past the door and I thought I was safe, until the whole room went dark. He was using his powers to try and find me.

He swung the door open and I jumped back.

"You cheated," I teased, against my better judgement.

"Come here," he beckoned with his finger.

"No, Holden. We can't touch while you're in this state." I tried to reason with him, but it didn't seem to be working.

"Okay, I'll come to you then." He stepped forward.

I stepped backwards and he continued to come forward, until my back was against a wall and I had nowhere else to go. He placed his hands on either side of the wall, trapping me to it. I looked at the gaps I could possibly squeeze through, seeing there was no way I was getting out.

I lifted my eyes back up to him, "This isn't you, Holden. It's the Icirium that you drank, it's clouding your judgement. You're going to regret all of this, once it's out of your system."

"You feel it too, you can't tell me you don't." His voice was barely a whisper.

That gave me an opening to try something. I put my hands on his chest, making sure not to touch his skin. I pushed him back, until he fell onto the bed. I crawled on top of him, straddling his waist with both legs on either side of him. I took a pillow and gently pulled the pillowcase off, grinding myself on him to keep him distracted. He let out a low growl, moving his hands to my àss. I jumped at the thought of him possibly touching my skin.

"Hands above your head," I commanded and he complied.

I tied the pillowcase around his wrists, being extra careful not to brush my skin against his. I took another pillowcase and ran it through the tiny opening of the tied pillowcase, tying the rest of it to the bedpost.

I lowered my head down, so my lips were at his ear. "That should give me a head start."

Quickly jumping off of him, I ran out of the room. It was a miracle I got out, before he could use his powers to keep me in place.

I could faintly hear him shouting my name. Those pillowcases weren't going to hold him for long.

"He can't touch me. He can't. He can't."

My thoughts replayed in my head on a loop.

"Maybe I'm overthinking. Just because I'm the person he's the most attracted to, doesn't mean I'm his soulmate. No, I don't need to take any chances. I need to keep moving. Outside, I need to get outside."

I made myself back down to the first floor and ran out the front door. Thankfully, Amira didn't believe in perimeter collars.

I ran towards her garden, which was surprisingly bigger than Holden's.