Chapter 26

Claire's pov.

Day of the ball.

I did a little twirl in front of the mirror that is in the closet. The train of the red mermaid gown spun with me. One of my arms was covered by a long sleeve, while the other was completely exposed. The whole dress looked like it was covered in rubies. The light would catch them and make them shine, with each turn I made. My three inch heels I picked out matched the dress perfectly. My hair was pulled up and held together by matching red flowers that glowed. A glowing ruby-like pendant hung around my neck. I adorned my lips with a deep red gel that Amira gave to me. I assumed it was basically like lipstick. I did the same for my eyelids, mixing a little black for eyeliner.

"If I had known I was going to be stuck in space and wanted to capture the attention of a certain alien, I would have brought my makeup bag." I thought sadly, missing my home.

I checked my com for any new messages.

0 new messages.

"Seriously? Any other day he's blowing my phone up."

I heard a the familiar chime of someone at my door and my heartrate picked up, making my breath hitch.

"Claire, are you almost ready? Amira sent me to check on you." I could hear Cal's voice through the intercom at the door.

My heart dropped a little with disappointment and I opened the door for him. "I'm ready. I was just waiting on word from Amira. How do I look?"

Cal looked me over, taking me all in. "I think you look beautiful. If Holden doesn't stop dead in his tracks when he sees you, he doesn't deserve you."

A small smile spread over my face, "Thanks, Cal. I'm really sorry you can't attend. I didn't mean for this to happen."

He waved off my comment, "It's fine, Claire. Can you just promise me one thing?"

"Anything, Cal." I said, smoothing out my dress.

"Keep an eye on Amira, if you can. I just don't want Galant upsetting her. If you see anything out of the ordinary, will you try to step in?" He pleaded.

I nodded, "Of course, you don't even have to ask."

"Don't have to ask what?" Amira came in, hearing the last bit of our conversation.

She had on a beautiful golden ballgown. Her head adorned with a small crown. She had little traces of gold flecks going up her arms. Her long platinum blonde hair was tied up in a bun.

"Oh, Cal just reminded me to be careful. We don't have the best luck with balls." I hinted to the last one, where Sean broke in and nearly killed Holden.

"Oh, right. We'll be extra careful, I promise." She kissed his cheek and grabbed my arm, "Come on, Claire. It's time for us to make our appearances. A lot of the guests are already here, including my brother."

I swallowed nervously, "He is?"

"Yes, didn't he com you?" She asked, leading me through the halls.

"No, he didn't." I said flatly, trying to hide my aggravation.

"Are you two fighting?" She probed, linking her arm with mine.

"Not that I'm aware of. Maybe he's still mad that I didn't message back quickly yesterday." I suggested, but made sure my doubts were shown.

"Oh well, I'm sure he'll get over whatever it is when he sees you." She commented, looking me over.

We reached the entryway to the ball room and my heart thudded in my chest. It was so loud, I could almost hear it.