Chapter 16

Claire's pov.

Holden took my hand and walked me over to them. "Mother, father, meet Claire. She's my pet."

"Your parents?" I stammered, looking back and forth between them.

His parents looked me up and down, especially his mother.

"Not very poised, is she?" His mother pointed out, my self esteem taking a beating.

Holden rolled his eyes, "Mother, be nice."

She circled me, taking me all in. My blood ran ice cold, scared of what might happen.

I looked over at his father, who looked extremely well. He didn't look ill at all.

"I'll ask Holden about it later."

His mother stopped examining me and sighed, "I'd expect our son to have a higher quality pet. As long as you're happy that's all that matters." She smiled, obviously forcing it.

"Thank you, mother." Holden deadpanned, pulling me flush against his side.

His father scrunched his nose up at the interaction, but I didn't care. His parents could absolutely loathe me, I wasn't here for their approval.

"Let's start the meeting," Holden broke the silence, aware of the tension.

I followed Holden back to his seat and stood next to him. The meeting dragged on and was really boring. They talked more on the missing princess and queen subject.

"She obviously had to have taken guards that she trusted." One of the male leviathans spoke up. "I doubt she knew how to fly a ship. Do you know how to fly a ship, queen Stark?"

"Stark? That must be Holden's and Amira's last name."

"I do not." The queen spoke up, interrupted my thoughts.

"She had to have some guards with her. Why don't we send some of our men to look?" The leviathan that liked looking at me said outloud.

"And risk a war on whatever planet she went to? There would be casualties. We may live a long time, but we're not invincible, Falas." Holden reasoned.

"We would slaughter any other species, or take some for pets. I see you've grown attached to yours. Why should you be the only one to have a homosapien." The leviathan, Falas, argued. His eyes flicking to me.

"Enough!" Holden's father boomed and everyone went silent, "I'm done listening to this subject and I don't have the strength to entertain it. Why don't we discuss the ball for tomorrow?"

"Of course, you wouldn't want to discuss the topic of finding the lost princess. If the princess is alive, you would lose your title as king." I scoffed outloud and Holden gave me a confused look.

"Alright father, what would you like to know about the party?" Holden moved the conversation along.

I blocked the rest of the meeting out. They didn't talk about anything interesting the rest of the time. I was getting really bored and I think Holden knew it, because he cut the meeting short. He offered me his arm and he lead me back to his room. I sat in my usual spot on the couch, thinking about the conversation that went on in the meeting.

"What's on your mind? I can see it all over your face. You're thinking about something hard." Holden brought me out of my thoughts.

"Your father is hell bent on not finding the princess and the queen, isn't he?" I chose not to hide my thoughts.