28:ENCROACHMENT

JESSICA

I sat on the porch with both of my elbows pressed against the table. It was chilly but perfectly blending with my thoughts.

The scar,it's crazy how I'd never thought about it until now. As days went by, I became more aware of the flaws my plan had. I was playing with fire, should my wings get ignited, I didn't think I would be able to save them.

This whole thing had become too overwhelming and it felt like I had chewed more than I could swallow. If Victor found out,he'd use me as his spy,I wouldn't survive.

There may have not been a clairvoyant in this house but if I were to enter his enemies' territories, one vampire would see through me. I would get killed and the earth wouldn't be ashamed to cover me,just as it wasn't to cover them and I prayed it ended up that way because if they left my heart beating,the venom would gladly claim my insides. I would feed on human fear and blood.

Suddenly, I felt my cheeks warming up,yes,I was clumsy but emotions had to be the last thing I entertained right now or I would just end up doing stupid things.

"Jess"Daniel said with his hands buried in his pockets. I didn't even see him coming. They moved like ghosts but isn't that just what they were? Ghosts didn't have hearts nor souls. They were long dead.

"Why did you call me that?"

"Oh,isn't that your name?"he put his hand on his chest,acting surprised.

"Gosh,I can't wait to kill you,"I glared at him.

"Wish I could say something different",he chuckled mischievously as my eyes took him in.

The boots were once again,a bit muddy. His hair ends rained on his black jacket which,if weren't made of leather,would be just as soaked as the white shirt that gave out a glimpse of his chiseled torso.

His eyes,for the first time in a long time looked animated and for some reason, my eyes refused to leave his slightly parted lips. There's something intriguing about a dangerous man. No,the word I should've used was vampire.
It hadn't been raining here,where had he gone?

"You seem like you're in a good mood,where have you been?"I asked,unable to conceal my curiosity.

"Can you please pretend to respect me,especially out here where no walls surround us?"

I rolled my eyes,"sure."

He arched his eyebrow and annoyingly, he became effectively intimidating.

"Okay,master,got it,"

"Good,I want you to bring a glass of water to my room exactly after five minutes,"he ordered and gave me no chance to ask further,like I said,he moved like a ghost.

Why the hell did he want me to come to his room? He surely didn't want the water,since when did he drink water?

"America,"Christy called. What was Ian doing now that she had become the head?

"Yes,"I answered, walking inside.

"Go put these inside the vase in the guest room"

She had told me earlier that Gina liked roses. What had the Gonidi sisters done to deserve such treatment. Why go through so much pain just to ensure they had a comfortable stay?what were they to them?

"Please make it quick,there's still work to do"

"I thought you said we're done? Oh,you mean a talk about the date?"

I smiled. My cheeks already hurt from trying this hard to show enthusiasm.

"Shh,not so loud,"she giggled,"you guessed right,just come back before they arrive."

"Okay,give me five minutes,"I faked a smile and started to make my way to the other side of the house. I had only been here once or twice. It was off limits to us,the servants,well,only me since Ian moved around freely,he had probably been in Victor's room,the way he trusted him so much.

The family's bedrooms were here but I never found it questionable until right now that Daniel's was only feet away from Ian's and mine.

It was probably nothing serious but the view of the distant ocean was incredible from here,why the hell would he want to be there? There were walls that blocked everything from outside,nothing was particularly interesting there. I sighed and forced it off my mind which was already hyperventilating from other matters.

A vase already stood on the nightstand,I carefully put the beautiful flowers inside and let my eyes wander around the room.

This would be Gina's room,it didn't have much ornaments but that didn't stop it from reeking of class and royalty. There was no bed,although I had heard Christy insisting on getting it. Why she was obsessed with us remained a mystery to me. Why couldn't she just embrace her true nature. Imitating humans wouldn't make her human,she was a cold,heartless murderer.

I clucked my tongue in annoyance, now I had to go sit in front of her and act like I enjoyed hearing the details of her incredible love story. How ridiculous. It's not like I had any choice,friends were always there to listen when you needed them,weren't they?

______*****______

WE SAT in the living room and I cooled my insides with apple juice. I could barely register what she was saying but whatever little I grabbed, I commented and flashed her my teeth just so she wouldn't pick up my disinterest and it seemed to work.

"At the amusement park?"I asked when my brain interpreted something disturbing.

"Yes,and Zachary showed him his fangs,"

I narrowed my eyes in disbelief as she had her fun,so she found fun in seeing humans scared?

"How's that funny?"

"Oh,Mer, you should've seen him!poor little human."

I shook my head as she continued to have her out bursts.

"Stop looking at me like that, Mer. We were just having fun,it's not like we killed him,it's no biggie"

"You would've killed him?"

"Why do you care so much?"

I parted my lips to say something but immediately clapped them close. There was no need to shoot myself in the foot.

"You're right,it's no 'biggie',"I repeated her words before getting up.

" I need to use the bathroom,"I didn't even bother to wear a fake smile as I strode upstairs. I was beyond pissed. How was instilling fear inside another person fun?

I didn't even know what went on in their heads when they killed humans. Maybe they found that fun too but an amusement park of all places! Where were we supposed to feel free. They were everywhere on this planet. They were encroaching. They didn't deserve the sun and the greenery. They deserved to go to hell,wicked creatures!

~

Have you met a Rosinah?😂

Don't forget to VOTE

Love,
Ndindi