18:CACHE

DANIEL

"Hey,"

I said to Christy as I passed and I was surprised when she replied,I wasn't expecting her to, honestly. She was obsessed with this human shit. The way everything about them disgusted me, except their fucking blood,of course,I couldn't even love that human part of me.

"Where have you been?"

She asked, rising from the couch.

This was exactly why I was so against her watching this. She had become so much like them,so nosy.

"Out."

I answered as to dismiss her and had just climbed the first two stairs when she attacked me with a question and I knew more were to follow.

"What the hell were you doing in Marcus' land?"

Zach had no idea where I had been, even if he had,he wouldn't have trusted her with such sensitive information. Someone else had fed her this and as much as the idea of having someone tracing my moves frustrated me,I wouldn't show her.

"I practically live there,remember?"

"Daniel, you're telling me you don't know?"

"Know what?"

"Marcus thinks someone from our coven has been stealing from him."

Oh he doesn't think,he knows but he can't just say that to Victor.

"Is that supposed to stop me from going there?"

"If he sees you there,he might think it's you."

"Well,he won't be able to prove it and tell me how you know so much. Obviously, Marcus hasn't been going around telling vampires that he suspects one of them."

"I just know."

She moved back to the couch without meeting my eyes at a pace only a vampire could comprehend.

"Okay,"

I said after a long pause then left her.

Jessica rose from her bed as I opened the door. I was pleased to notice that the wait had been doing its office on the nerves and somehow the way she bit her lip anxiously made me almost forget she was human.

"Come with me."

JESSICA

It's only after Daniel snapped his fingers only a few inches away from my face that I became fully aware of my surroundings but I was surprised to see Daniel holding the door with a giant V for me to come inside.

I could see he had read the uncertainty written all over my face,shaking my head was just icing on the cake. His little patience encouraged him to push me inside and shut the door behind him,his back resting against it and I folded my arms in front of my chest,waiting for an explanation.

A strong smell of blood,much stronger than the one I had smelled the previous day in the fridge hit my nostrils and I covered my nose with my hands but it was too little late,I already felt nauseous.

"Why did you bring me here?"

"Ian told me you wanted to know what's inside"

He said plainly. He wasn't fighting, didn't look like he intended to either and I knew something was wrong. As for Ian,I was not in the slightest way surprised that he had betrayed me.

"Stop,if your cheek bleeds-"

"You'll kill me."I finished his sentence as I stopped chewing my cheek.

"I believe you've met Brian?"

Brian, my whole body tensed as I thought of the day at the club when he had been determined to kidnap me for Victor.

Christian had told me that Vincent and Brian would not be a problem as they didn't live in Adobe. They stayed in Manori. A land he had polluted with his venom. No humans lived there anymore, only a few had managed to get away but the majority had had to face the cruel fate of becoming bloodsucking monsters. This had happened less than a year ago and that meant the land was littered with newborn vampires,making it very dangerous as newborns were wild and if the old vampires could not control their lust for blood,the newborns were much more worse. They were also much physically stronger than old vampires as they still had their own blood lingering in their tissues. It was a miracle how Brian and Vincent were managing. They trained them to become the best army for Victor for the war was near,the only question was,were the wolves as prepared as he was?

"Apart from him and Vincent, who else has seen my face?" I asked curiously.

"Victor has."

No. Victor didn't know me,he hadn't seen my face, that much,Camberly and my mom had made sure of.

"Victor has a picture of you and your brother. He might have made copies for his friends too because they've been assisting him get to you."

My mother had burned all our photos about three weeks before Victor murdered them. I was so mad that I even spent an entire day, refusing to talk to her until it was time for her to sing me a lullaby to sleep. I couldn't help myself so I asked her why. Her reply was,"I did it to protect you and Jason. I'm not expecting you to understand now,Jessica but as you get older, you will." And I sure did grow up and the moment I learned that a vampire had killed them for Jason and I, I understood why she did it.
But how Victor got the picture remained a mystery.

"I knew you wouldn't believe me, that's why I brought you here. Hopefully you'll realize that you're playing with fire and quit your nonsense."

I turned around to observe the study. The idea of being in it wasn't as thrilling as it had been a few hours ago probably because then,I had thought of it as my own mission and now that Daniel had interfered,it was no fun.

There was nothing except a small chair and a table. It was plain,not decorated as the other rooms were. I remembered when Christy told me he and Daniel hated the decorations. I wondered what Daniel's room looked like.

There was a white board on the wall with pictures pinned to it and I found myself moving towards it. I saw my five years old self with the seven year old Jason beside me. A pin had been stitched into my head,one would think to hold the picture but I knew it depicted his desire to kill me. I wasn't worried about Jason. I knew Camberly would protect him to death. Even if it was only for Lisa's sake.

Well, I looked very different from my five year old self and so,I intended to stay.

I wasn't surprised to see Marcus and Camberly's faces and I couldn't care less what he did to them but my heart stopped beating when I saw a red cross drawn on his face. I could still see his ocean blue eyes under it. Liam. He's all I needed to tear the stupid pictures off the board.

Strong arms carried me out of the study with my legs kicking. No tears this time,those days were long gone.

There was nothing in that study and as much as I hated to admit it, Marcus was right. There's only one way and that was to kill him.

~

Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to VOTE

Love,
Ndindi