21:HEARTBEAT

JESSICA

This,in all honestly was unmistakably a familiar scene. I had found them exactly like this. I had found them with the exact territorial marks on their necks. I would recognize them anywhere because they had become part of me too and I carried them everyday of my life.

The fluid that had become a very faithful friend to me over the years filled my eyes and I knew all it would take was a simple blink for it to slide down my cheeks.

I didn't want to cry,I didn't afford it. Katniss Everdeen had taught me that tears would not help me with anything. They would only hold me back from my plans.

I had given tears so much power over the years that they started to claim me as their own in every situation that reminded me of my parents. It was time that came to an end. I had been a weakling for far too long.

Finally coming into touch with reality, I remembered I had screamed and with very sensitive eyes around me,I was in trouble.

My legs trembled and I felt so dehydrated when I took my first step towards the door, fighting the urge to look back at the sullen corpse. I should promise him that I'd avenge his death just as I planned to do for my parents but no, I didn't think I'd do it without doing what I had promised myself not to.

I was glad when I opened the door to find the passage clear and silent,I broke into a run.

"Whoa,slow down!"

Looking over my shoulder was my greatest mistake because I tripped and was about to kiss the floor and hopefully say goodbye to my teeth when strong arms caught me but at the pace I was running,he failed to balance us both. My chest hurt as it collided with his hard one when he fell with me on top of him.

He had a human heart and right now,everything seemed unworthy of my attention except his heartbeat. I loved how my head fell and rose along with his chest ever so slowly. Even after impact,his heart was beating so faintly. It was incredible but it didn't change the fact that he was a bloodsucking demon.

"I'm sorry."

I whispered against his chest. He smelled amazing. Like summer rain and fresh mint.

I forced myself to get off him,I didn't really want to. God knew I wanted to lay there for centuries and the fact that I wanted that didn't sit well with me.

"It's okay,what were you running from anyway?"

He asked, getting back up at a pace too quick for my eyes to follow.

He made me nervous when he looked at me expectantly.

"Nothing"

I knew that wasn't very convincing.

"Really? And why did you scream?"

"Oh,so you came to check on me?," dodging his actual question.

"Yeah,"He admitted.

"So,tell me,"He pressed.

"It was nothing, really.",I brushed him off.

He gave me a perfectly arched brow,

"Is screaming just something you do for fun?"

I couldn't help but laugh at this.

"It's not. Like I said, it was nothing. Let it go."

"Okay,suit yourself,"he eyed me suspiciously and I knew he wouldn't let it go although he promised to, for now.

I knew talking about it would just bring back the pictures I didn't want to see. Those pictures were my biggest motivation but at the wrong time,they were my relentless tormentor. They built as much as they broke me and right now,I had to lock them inside my mental safe.

"you got the job"

He started, burying his hands in his jean pocket.

I cleared my throat.

"What are you gonna do about it?"

"Nothing. I just realized you're more useful to me alive than dead."

"What do you mean?"

"Only thing you need to know is that I'm not your enemy."

As confused as I was,

"Well,good because I came here for a purpose and either way,I wouldn't leave before fulfilling it. Better get used to my ugly face."

"I'm sorry but I don't think it'll ever stop scaring me,"he chuckled.

"Say that again," I gave him the meanest glare I could muster.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to your ugly face,"he said with a smirk.

"Oh and I don't think I'll ever get used to your-"

"Oh so you do check me out?"

He tried to dismiss the smile fighting its way to his pink lips but to no avail.

"Oh please!"

We both laughed and for the first time since that day I first saw him in Marcussè, I saw his bright teeth and the way his perfect lips stretched gracefully as he smiled got me very fascinated. It looked good on him,it made him more gorgeous, he should do it often, maybe then he'd look less deadly.

I lost track of my thoughts when someone cleared their throat behind me and when I saw Daniel's smile disappear, I turned around to face the tall monster in all black eyeing us disapprovingly.

"What in the world is going on here?"

"Nothing," Daniel was quick to respond,clearly irritated.

"Doesn't look like nothing to me."

I couldn't think of an excuse and I couldn't think of anything Victor thought gave him merit to question us.

"Daniel,need I remind you that you're engaged?"

Oh no,does he seriously think Daniel and I are-?No. No.

"I'm not engaged," Daniel stated furiously.

"Yes,you are and I won't tolerate you entertaining the likes of her."

The likes of me?

"There's nothing going on between me and J-miss America."

"You think I don't know what was happening while I was away?"

Daniel and I looked at each other and I knew he was thinking exactly what I was. Ian.

"Miss America,it hasn't even been a week but it seems your shoes are getting too big for you. I suggest you remember your place in this house while there's still still time. Get back to work."

Without another word, I walked away.

[Stop being a silent reader! Let me know what you think.]

Love,
Ndindi