T W O

Steve and Bucky had stayed true to their word and they had waited patiently at the gate by my house for me so that the three of us could walk to school together

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Steve and Bucky had stayed true to their word and they had waited patiently at the gate by my house for me so that the three of us could walk to school together.

This had become a regular thing the three of us were now extremely close, I mean Steve and Bucky had a different bond, they had been friends way before they'd met me and I'd never beat that not that I wanted to. Plus me being a girl meant I would always be seen as less not to them, but to others.

"Hey you guys got here earlier than usual." I note handing them each the toast I would sneak from my house. "Thanks Rosie." Steve grins happily biting into the toast I had covered with jam he loved it like that. "No problem Stevie." I tell him glad he was getting some extra food, Steve was so weak and sickly I honestly worried for him, especially since his family were a bit on the poorer side. "I brought you guys some fruit too." I tell them pulling the apples from my bag. "Thanks doll." Bucky grins catching an apple and rubbing it on his jacket before talking a bite.

"You're too good to us." Steve tells me as I force the apple into his hands. "Well someones gotta look out for you morons besides an apple a day keeps the doctor away right?" Bucky chuckles and swings an arm around my shoulder, "Well in that case we should load Steve up with apples then." He grins making me laugh as Steve shakes his head with a small smile and eats his apple.

"You do the science?" My eyes widen at Steve's question as I look at the school mere metres away from us, "oh no I forgot, father came home early yesterday and demanded I made his supper and then with all the cleaning I just lost track of time." Steve shakes his head sympathetically and pulls out his own paper and a pen, "turn around." I order Bucky who raises his eyebrows but does what I ask.

Resting my paper again this back I hurriedly scribble down the results that Steve had written down as he held the paper up so that I could see, the three of us made quite a good team. "Thanks Steve." I grin giving him a kiss on the cheek as I stuff my work into my bag, "do I not get any thanks?" Bucky questions as Steve's cheeks turn red. "Thanks Bucky." I tell him with a small eye roll, "and where's my kiss?" I laugh but lean up to press a kiss to his cheek. My stomach goes crazy as our eyes linger on each other for a second longer than they should.

The bell snaps us out of our daze as Steve grabs onto our arms and pulls us along with him.

• • •
1934

"What's my favourite colour?" I ask the two boys sat in front of me, "blue!" Steve says instantly making me grin, "right again Steve." I was quizzing the boys on my life, winner got a prize. Steve was in the lead, "come on Bucky we've been friends for two years and you don't know this stuff?" I ask him in mock disappointment, his mouth drops at the accusation. "I do Steve just won't shut up he's too fast." Steve grins smugly making me laugh, "be faster then."

"Ok fine then this question is for Bucky only, what is my favourite animal?" He grins at me and confidently sends me a wink, "that's easy, you love wolves." I shake my head at him, "don't lie Rosalie you know your favourite animal is a wolf." He persists making me laugh, "ok you were right I was just kidding around with you." At that a proud smile takes over his face, "see I do know you." I smile softly, "I know you do."

"But Steve won so he gets the prize." I say chucking a small bag of pear drops in Steve's direction, he sticks his tongue out a Bucky before popping one into his mouth. "But pear drops are my favourite." Bucky pouts, "you should've won then." I shrug as Steve turns and holds the bag open to his best friend. "Steve don't give him any."

"I felt bad." He shrugs making me smile Steve was so sweet. "Here you big baby." I say tossing Bucky a small bag of his own. "Thanks doll." He beams leaning forward to kiss my cheek.

"Rosalie?" My eyes widen as I instantly recognise the stern voice, Steve and Bucky become worried once the see the fear in my eyes. "Yes father?" I ask in a quiet tone as I turn around to face him and boy was he not happy. "Why are you not at home?" His voice may have seemed calm but I could sense the rage in it as he glanced at the two boys behind me.

"Mother said I could come out." I tell him bowing my head from his disappointed eyes. "Well you're coming home now, say bye." I nod and then turn around and mutter a small bye to the boys as my father grabs onto my arm very harshly making me wince, I could feel the skin bruising already. Bucky notices this and goes to stand but I shake my head at him and allow my father to drag me along with him.

"Mary you would not believe where I just found your daughter." He spits as he pushes me into the living room where mother was sat peacefully knitting. "Where Michael?" She asks in worry after observing his anger and my fear. "She was out with two boys." Mothers eyes soften, "yes Michael and?" She asks him continuing with the jumper. "You knew about this?" He's shocked, "yes Michael they're two very fine young men and they are her friends." She tells him, making him falter.

"My reputation Mary, she will tarnish it running around with two boys like a common whore." My eyes sting at his words, "Michael! Don't say such things, Rosalie has been friends with those two boys from the moment we moved here, it's been two years and you've only just found out, your reputation is fine."

"She is not to hang around them any longer." He says before turning to me, "you understand?" I swallow my tears and nod, "yes father." I whisper feeling my heart break. "You're being ridiculous, Rosalie honey you are free to hang around whomever you please." Mother assures me standing from the sewing.

"Mary-" She turns away picks up the laundry and makes her way up the stairs, mother was fathers weakness, he'd never do anything to her, my brother Dean and I were a different story however. But mother could tame his anger and get him to agree to whatever she wanted so I guess my friendship with the boys was safe.