S I X

1939

I'd gotten more popular from my singing and was even offered acting roles, I passed them up though not wanting to be away from Bucky or Steve, singing was enough for me and it was even better that I could do it from Brooklyn

"Hey you're Rosalie Burns." A small girl grins as she spots me, "yeah that's me." I smile down at her, "you're so pretty and so is your voice, I wanna be just like you when I grow up." My heart warms at her words, "I'm no where near as pretty as you." I say making her beam before she runs away. "She was so cute." I gush turning to Bucky who was just watching me with a smile, "what?" I ask him with a smile. "You're amazing." He says before pressing a kiss to my temple.

"Where are we going?" I ask him as he leads me along, "it's a surprise." He says making me smile at his giddy demeanour. "Ok now I've got to cover your eyes." He says standing behind me so that his hands were blocking everything from my sight. "Okay." I giggle allowing him to guide me.

"And open." He says removing his hands to reveal we were in someone's apartment, it hadn't been decorated yet, but there was a beautiful lay out for dinner. "You did this?" I ask stepping forward to inspect, all his hard work, "yeah, Steve helped obviously. We both cooked the food." He explains, "oh lord help us." I joke before I turn to find him down on one knee, a small velvet box in his hands.

My eyes widen as my jaw drops, was he really proposing now? "Rosalie I love you more than anything and I know that I want to spend the rest of my life by your side. I love everything about you and just want to experience it all by your side until I die. Ah man I don't know why I'm so nervous." He murmurs rubbing the back of his neck, "so what I'm asking is Rosalie Burns will you do me the greatest honour by becoming Mrs Barnes?" I don't even wait for him to finish speaking before I'm nodding and throwing myself into his arms. "I love you so much." I tell him making him smile at me, a proper smile from his heart. "Not as much as I love you."

• • •

"And done." I huff as Bucky and I fall back into the couch having finally finished decorated our apartment perfectly. "It's prefect." I beam at the warm walls already being able to imagine our whole future together. "You're perfect." He whispers before leaning over to me, "guys at least wait until I'm gone." Steve says as he walks into the room, I laugh but move up to allow some space between us so that Steve can sit."Sorry Steve." We echo not really all that sorry at all.

• • •

Steve and Bucky were at some art class they'd been taking recently, whilst I was going to visit my father, he'd been doing a lot better recently, curbed the alcohol and got his life mostly back on track. "Father?" I call out stepping into our old home, he must've been terribly lonely ever since I moved out.

"Father?" I ask for him again, yet I still don't get a response. I walk further into the house to find him in the kitchen hunched over crying. "Father are you alright?" I ask crouching down beside him. "I'm alright Rosalie, I just miss your mother, that's all." He murmurs wiping his tears, making me frown. My father may have not been the best to me but he had loved my mother with his whole heart.

Noting how he didn't want to talk about it I stand, "have you eaten anything today?" I ask as he sorts himself out, he doesn't say anything but he shakes his head making me sigh internally. I move over to the cupboards and begin to pull out ingredients to make him some food.

"I'm sorry." I almost would've missed it if the kitchen weren't completely silent, I turn to him confused, "I'm sorry for how I treated you." His apology catches me off guard I wasn't expecting it, "father." He shakes his head it allowing me to speak, "I shouldn't have treated you in such a way, your mother would've been appalled and you're my daughter I should've been taking care of you." I stay silent I didn't know what to say, I couldn't just say it's ok because it wasn't, but he was my father and I did love him and if he was willing to be better now then I guess all we could do was move forward. I give him a nod and then turn back to the food.

I set his food down in front of him prompting him to start crying again. My eyes widen in confusion what was wrong with him now? "Father why are you crying?" I ask gently he looks up at me and then stands and wraps his arms around me. "You're all grown up. I missed it all, you're not my little girl anymore, you're getting married soon and then you'll start a family and I wasted all our time together." I wrap my arms around him and pat his back feeling slightly awkward but touched at the same time. "Father, I'm always going to be your daughter, I'll visit you regularly." I assure him. He sniffles as he pulls away and then pats me on the shoulder, "I'm so proud of you."

• • •

Just as I finish preparing dinner the front door opens making me grin, perfect timing, "you would not believe the crazy day I had today." I call out to my fiancé slightly confused when he does not respond, I turn to see the dazed look on his face. "Bucky what's wrong?" I ask making him snap out of it, "the U.S is joining the war."