THIRTY SIX

I did end up going down to grab a paper only to find a picture of Bucky on the front page. What the hell? Now was not a good time for me to not be understanding Romanian.

I inspected the picture a bit more only to realise it wasn't even Bucky, it just looked a lot like him. They'd made a mistake I mean at least I think they did, all I could really understand was his name and wanted, there was also a picture of some sort of attack on a building. They don't think Bucky did that did they?

I realise that Bucky wouldn't even know what's going on having gone to the market, and my eyes widened if this was on the front page it'd be a matter of minutes before someone recognised him, especially because he's dressed exactly like the man in the picture.

I run to market as fast as I can and luckily I see him, he's over by an empty stand looking down at something. "Bucky we have to leave now." I tell him urgently catching his attention, "I didn't do this." He says referring to the paper, "I know you didn't now come on let's go." I say grabbing onto his hand and pulling him along.

"You wait here I'll go up and grab the bag." I nod and allow him to run up our complex to get our necessities so that we could leave. I then notice all the armed agents that swarm the building, my panic surges but I know that Bucky could get out of this, I just couldn't wait for him here anymore.  I run to the other side of the building to see Sam Steve Bucky and another man, dressed all in black with pointy ears on his mask, like some sort of cat. He was fighting Bucky on the roof of a nearby building.

Before I can even try to help Bucky begins running, the three other men chasing after him, I quickly join the chase and drop down into the road just in time to see Bucky grab the handle bars of a motorcycle and swing it around before jumping on. "Get on." He says to me as he spots me. I waste no time listening to what he says and wrap my arms around him tightly as he drives. I use my powers to protect us from the bullets that were being aimed at us and to try and keep other people safe.

Everything was going well and it was almost as if we were gonna make it out until the cat guy caught up and pushed us from the bike. I made sure neither of us landed harshly, the cat guy then tries to attack Bucky again and so I try and keep them apart only to be pushed down, Steve then leaps out of the car he was driving and pulls the new guy away from Bucky. Steve stands, facing sleek and muscular unknown hero, when suddenly armed police arrive and surround us from all sides, guns aimed. War Machine leaps down from above and raises both hands.

"Stand down, now." He says as his helmet retracts, Bucky holds his hand out to me to help me up, we both then stand beside Steve who puts his shield on his back. "Congratulations, Cap. You're a criminal." He says before turning to me and shaking his head in disappointment. Police then move in and force Bucky to his knees really harshly, "hey." I say only for them to give me the same treatment. I lock eyes with Bucky as we're both restrained and send him a reassuring smile as I notice the defeat on his face.

• • •

Luckily I'm allowed to ride in the van with Sam Steve and the Prince although I'm not so sure that it was lucky. I avoid Steve's eyes and just keep my head down. "So, you like cats?" Sam suddenly says breaking the silence, "Sam." Steve says in a disapproving tone, "What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?" I crack a smile, he had a point. "Your suit . . . t's Vibranium?" Steve asks cautiously after a second, T'Challa's eyes narrow as he glances sideways. "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you . . . as both warrior and king . . . how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?" Steve looks down but I look up.

"Your highness, I'm so sorry about your father but I promise you he didn't do it." I say making him glare at me I shrink back into my seat at the deadly anger in his eyes. He doesn't say anything but I don't think that he believes me.

• • •

We get out of the cars just to see a forklift carrying Bucky's pod away, my heart churns at the look on his face, he didn't deserve this.

We approach Sharon who's standing with a diminutive, gray-head man. "What's gonna happen to him?" I ask before I can stop myself, "Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition." The man answers making me take a step back, "This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander." Sharon introduces. "What about our lawyer?" Steve asks making Everett chuckle, "Lawyer. That's funny. See their weapons are placed in lockup. Oh, we'll write you a receipt."

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that." Sam murmurs as we begin to follow after them. I quickly glance back and catch Bucky's eye, he forces a smile making me almost frown, but I don't I keep myself composed and give him a nod, I'd make sure that they knew he was innocent.

• • •

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?" Everett tells us as he leads us away, "I don't intend on going anywhere." T'challa says, "For the record, this is what making things worse looks like." Nat says to Steve as she walks with us, "He's alive." Steve replies. "Nice to see you again Burns, I like the pink." She winks making me grin, "thanks."

"No. Romania was not Accords-sanctioned. And, Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup." We here Tony as we approach him, "Try not to break anything while we fix this." Nat says before she turns to me, "and you don't run off on us again."

"Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously you can quote me on that 'cause I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir." Tony says before hanging up and joining us, "Consequences?" Steve questions, "Secretary Ross wants you both prosecuted. Had to give him something." He shrugs. "I'm not getting that shield back, am I?" They shake their heads, "Technically, it's the government's property. Wings, too." Nat offers, "That's cold." Sam complains, "Warmer than jail." Tony replies making me laugh.

"Oh well if it isn't forest gump." My eyebrows furrow, "huh?" He rolls his eyes, "cause he didn't stop running?" Oh. "You know I didn't expect to see you again, not after you abandoned us." I glance away for a second, "I'm sorry." He shrugs, "yeah you've got commitment issues let's hope you've worked on them." He says in a careless way, "Tony." Steve says in a tone telling him to stop, making me feel even worse, why was he sticking up for me.

"It was nice to see you again lava girl, let's hope you stay put this time."