The beginning

1932

"Mom why did we have to move here? I was happy back home and now I have to start a new school where I'll probably not be able to make friends

"Mom why did we have to move here? I was happy back home and now I have to start a new school where I'll probably not be able to make friends." My mother smiles down at me as I pout, "you know we had to move to Brooklyn for your father dear, and don't worry about school, it'll be great." I smile at the optimism in her tone and nod, "now off you go before you get late." She urges after perfecting my hair for me.

"See you later mother." She sends me yet another warm smile as she adjusts my pinafore, "see you later my sweet Rosie." And then with a kiss to the head off I go.

Nerves eat up at me as I walk closer and closer to the place I would have to spend most of my days.

School was rubbish, it was so boring and I hadn't even mustered up the courage to speak to anyone, instead I just slinked around in the shadows watching everyone already content with their friends. I kicked at the ground as I begun my journey back home, hopefully tomorrow would be better.

Walking past the shops in this new place I manage to get distracted easily, "oh sorry." I murmur softly noticing how I had bumped into someone as my eyes had been captivated with one of the many shop displays. "Watch where you're going." A boy little older than me spits as he pushes me roughly back into the wall. "I said I was sorry." I say with a bit more attitude not liking how he'd put his hands on me.

"Yeah well sorry ain't good enough sweetheart." I grimace at him but before I can say anything someone has come to aid me? "Hey leave the girl alone." I look to the side to see another boy this one was in my class, "oh yeah Rogers what're you gonna do about it?" The older one asks tauntingly. Rogers immediately swings his much smaller fist making my eyes widen as I look to the sickly boy beside me in shock. I hadn't expected him to be so brave also I was worried, it looked as though he'd do more damage to himself by attempting to fight.

The older boy chuckles easily catching his fist before throwing a hard punch to the poor boys face, "hey leave him alone!" I yell pulling Rogers jacket from the bully, "or what?" I hate the smug smile on the stupid jerks face and so I grab his nose harshly and twist, a tiny bit more and I'd break it. "Ow ow ow let go of my nose." I do what he says allowing him to stumble back rubbing his now red nose. "You-" I flash him a grin, "you can't hurt me." I smirk, "oh yeah watch me." He strides forwards for me but I kick him where the sun doesn't shine before pulling his arm back behind his back.

Yet again he cries out for me to let him go, "leave us alone." I seethe in a low tone before I release him watching his anger grow even more, "you're done for now." I roll my eyes had this boy not learnt anything from the past ten minutes. He lunges for us a wild anger in his eye yet he never gets to us, instead another boy intervenes, he grabs the bully by his collar punching him across the face really hard, it draws blood immediately, "is this how we treat ladies Dave?" He questions in an annoyed tone, so that was the jerks name, Dave.

After a few more hits he has Dave running away crying making the three of us laugh. I smile up at our saviour, he was very handsome, "thanks but I had it covered." He chuckles at my words, "I'm sure you did little lady but what kinda man would I be if I left you to deal with that moron." I shrug, "and you god I can't even leave you alone for two seconds before you're fighting someone." He shakes his head at his friend with a small smile on his face. I also turn to him, "thank you too. You're very brave." He beams at my compliment, "no problem, Steve Rogers." He introduces holding his hand out, I shake it with a smile, "Rosalie Burns." I tell him softly, "and this is my best friend James Barnes." He tells me, "you can call me Bucky though." He winks as he takes my hand and kisses the back of it.

"Nice to meet you guys." I grin trying to calm my heart that was beating irrationally. "Likewise, where did you learn how to do that." Both boys look at me in interest desperately wanting to know. "My older brother taught me, didn't want me to ever be defenceless." I explain, making the two nod, "smart."

"It's starting to get late, how about we walk you home?" Bucky suggests making my heart beat pick up again, "oh you don't have to." I assure them yet both shake their heads, "don't be crazy doll, we can't let you walk home alone." Bucky insists Steve adamantly agreeing, "ok then if you're sure."

The three of us walk to my house talking about school, which teachers and people to look out for, they were also just giving me tips about the area and stuff. "Well this is me, thank you for walking me." I tell both boys as we stop outside of my house. "No problem doll." Bucky winks, "we'll wait for you here tomorrow." I look to Steve in confusion, "to walk you to school of course." I grin at him, "see you tomorrow then."

I guess tomorrow would be better after all.