T H R E E

1936

"You're a disgrace

"You're a disgrace." Father slurs after coming home early from work again, I hated the day when he'd come home early especially if he was intoxicated like he was at this moment. "Come on father." I sigh wrapping my arms around his shoulder so that I could guide him to the couch. "A disgrace you hear me?" I nod, "yes father." I murmur making sure that he sits down properly and doesn't hurt himself.

"Get me a beer girl." I take in his state and shake my head, "there aren't any left." I tell him, "why not?" He asks a rage brewing in him, after mother passed a year ago he had been harsher much more temperamental and almost always drunk and it was only me here to look after him. Dean was away with his job back home whilst father was supposed to be managing the bank here in Brooklyn.

"You drank them all." I whisper, "don't lie to me girl, you probably gave them to your boyfriends!" He says standing from his seat making me flinch. "Father-" he cut me off with a slap across the face, it sends me to the ground. "Go and get me some more." He spits, I scramble to my feet and nod glad to have an opportunity to leave the house.

I wasn't even going to buy any more beers he'd be passed out before I even got to the shop and he wouldn't remember the conversation in the morning. I make my way upstairs to grab my cardigan and by the time I get back down I already hear the snores. I quietly make my way to the kitchen and pack up some of the food I had made earlier. I wanted to take it to Steve, after his mother had passed this year he had been all alone and he was adamant that he could take care of himself but his cooking had nothing on mine.

I hear a thud making me sigh, I find my father on the floor in the living room, I find a pillow and a blanket and make sure he's comfortable before I leave.

"Rosie we've been waiting." Steve grins as he opens the door, his grin falling as he takes in the state of my face, "hey Steve." I say forcing a small smile of my own, "Rosalie..." I shake my head trying to keep the tears away, "I brought you some food." He takes it off me and gives me a thankful smile, "you're too good to me." I smile, "well someone has to take care of you." I tell him, "hey Steve come on what's takin so long." We hear Bucky say, "took your time Rose." He grins until he too sees my face.

"Not again." I nod watching the anger on his face grow as he grabs his jacket and then makes his way out the door, Steve and I share a glance before I run after him. "Hey Bucky, Bucky stop." I say quickly planting myself in front of him. "Rose this is not ok, he shouldn't be treating you like this." He tells me placing a hand softly on my cheek, "I know but someone has to look after him." I murmur leaning into his touch, "but why? He doesn't take care of you." I shrug, "he's my father and I know my mother wouldn't want me to leave him alone." He shakes his head, "you're too kind."

"Now come on you're worrying poor Steve." I say pulling him back in the direction of Steve's home. "You worried me." He says brushing some hair from my face, "bet I look real ugly now huh?" I ask knowing of the bruise that decorated my face. "You're still the most beautiful girl I've ever had the pleasure of laying my eyes on." I laugh as my stomach churns and try and shake it off, Bucky was a proper ladies man, he knew exactly how to charm them, and so he wasn't being serious.

"Sure." I giggle bumping my shoulder to his, "I'm being incredibly serious Rose." He tells me even stopping in his place, "you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, and not only that you have the kindest heart, you're always looking after Steve and I when you shouldn't, your voice is soft and sweet like honey but rich like gold and being around you makes me feel like the luckiest man in the world, you're an angel Rosalie and you don't even see it." I feel my heart beat increase as I listen to his words and look at the utter admiration in his eyes. He truly meant everything he was saying, he saw me in such an amazing way that I was afraid that he was mistaken, I was no where near as perfect as the girl he had described.

"You mean that?" I ask in a small voice, "every word, my god Rosalie, I've been madly in love with you from the moment I watched you grab Dave Jones by the nose." He tells me making me laugh as a tear escapes my eye. "And I've been in love with you since you stood up for us." I tell him seriously, my heart warming as I watch his face light up before he leans down and presses his lips to mine.

"Hey guys oh-" We pull away to see Steve who had just left his house to find us, "took you guys long enough." He grins making Bucky and I laugh. "Seriously, I've been waiting for this day for the past four years."