Takeover: Portland

(February 17, 2020)

On screen...

The crowd popped for Axel Trese, who was still wearing his Worlds Collide gear, but with the Philippine flag on the back of his hooded coat and his pants now sported a more silvery color.

"The following contest is scheduled for one fall! Making his way to the ring, from Manila, the Philippines, weighing in at 224 lbs, Axel Trese!"

"Axel has been on a roll since the beginning of his career here in NXT, but he has been looking for better challengers ever since." Mauro said.

"Hence the formation of this match." Beth added. "He wanted to move up the ladder by taking on the bigger fish of the roster, and Damian Priest answered his challenge last week."

Axel took off his coat and pointed to the  popping crowd before starting to wait for his opponent. Ten seconds after his entrance music stopped, the lights went out.

The crowd made mixed reactions as the spotlights turned on and off as if Damian Priest was teleporting on the stage. When he was on center stage, Damian turned around and fired an imaginary arrow at the screen, showing his name in fiery letters as the dim arena lit up by a bit.

"And his opponent, from New York City, New York, weighing in at 251 lbs, Damian Priest!"

"This is a man on a mission to get his name to live on forever!" Mauro announced. "And tonight, he looks to do so at the expense of Axel Trese!"

"These two are quite the heavy hitters so we'll be expecting a fight today." Nigel added.

Damian entered the ring while taking off his vest and shades. He stared down Axel as the bell rang.

DING! DING! DING!

As the bell rung, Axel and Damian charged at one another. The Archer of Infamy went for a Running Forearm Strike, which got ducked under. Axel shifted his direction to the ropes and rebounded to hit a Dropkick to Damian Priest, who staggered back to the ropes. Axel ran the same ropes again, only to take a Running Forearm Smash courtesy of Damian! He went for the cover!

1...KICKOUT!

Priest sighed and immediately locked in a Sleeper Hold in an attempt to wear down his opponent. Axel struggled to maintain his breathing as he tried desperately to twist his body to get a good opening in, but the Archer of Infamy clocked him with a brutal right hand to the temple before grabbing him by the wrist and pulling him in to a Roundhouse Kick, but Axel ducked under and maneuvered behind his opponent to hit a Backstabber! He quickly tried to pin him.

1...KICKOUT!

(15 minutes later...)

Axel had Damian right where he wanted: struggling to stand up in the middle of the ring. The Strong Style Assassin waited in the corner in anticipation. He charged and went for the Critical Hit, but Damian Priest moved out of the way! Axel, shocked, turned around was set up for a Chokeslam! The Archer of Infamy immediately went for the South of Heaven! He went for the cover!

1...2...thr- KICKOUT!

Clearly not happy at that sudden escape, Damian Priest pulled Axel up and dragged him to the nearest turnbuckle. He slammed his opponent's head on the turnbuckle and gave him a quick kick to the chest before running back to the opposite turnbuckle. Eyes set on his target, the Archer of Infamy charged, looking for a Running Corner Splash, but Axel sidestepped at the last second, causing Damian to crash into the turnbuckle!

Taking advantage, Axel immediately hit an Enzuigiri on Damian before picking him up in a Fireman's Carry! Axel slowly walked to the center of the ring and tried to go for a GTS, but Priest escaped and set up the Strong Style Assassin for his own finisher! The Archer of Infamy quickly went for the Reckoning, but Axel escaped before he could fully apply it and was struck in the head with an Overhead Kick!

Damian went down hard while Axel struggled to get up following that quick exchange. He managed to get up on his own two feet while his opponent was still on his a knee. Axel quickly ran the ropes, looking to hit a Shining Wizard, but the Archer of Infamy ducked underneath the attack, not noticing his opponent's foot hooked on his leg until it was too late. Immediately stopping his momentum, Axel's other leg shot up and applied a quick kick onto the back of Priest's head, knocking him out!

Taking his chance, Axel dragged Priest up onto a Fireman's Carry and applied the GTS! He covered!

1...2...3!

DING! DING! DING!

"Here is your winner: Axel Trese!"

Right after getting the winning pin, Axel rolled to the side and slowly rose up to his feet using the ropes as leverage.

"And once again, Axel Trese prevails!" Mauro announced.

"What an intense battle between these two Superstars!" Nigel remarked. "TakeOver Portland is on fire tonight!"

__________

Off screen...

"Hell of a match." Luis chuckled as he and Xander were holding one ice pack each while in the men's locker room, easing their collective pain.

"Did I hit you too hard?" Xander asked.

"Ain't that fragile, man." Luis patted him on the shoulder as Austin and Keith walked up to them.

"You guys did awesome." Keith remarked, holding on the NXT North American title.

Both Luis and Xander grinned and gave the Limitless One two thumbs up.

"Whatever the case, you guys can sit back and watch. Steff and Cheree are up next." Austin told them.