Painting Blue With Black and Gold

Xander figured something was off today. One minute, he was at Full Sail, and the next, on a flight to Smackdown Live.

He sat there in the plane, listening to music before his curiosity got the better of him.

"Is there a reason we're flying to Smackdown so suddenly?" He asked as he took off his headphones.

"I heard they're short handed there. Something delayed a lot of people from flying from Saudi." The nearest person, Demi Bennett (Rhea Ripley), explained.

"Wonder what happened there..." Xander muttered to himself.

"I heard something about a deal and a plane malfunction." From behind him so suddenly, Steffanie suggested.

Again, Xander went red. He looked up to see the Welsh wrestler peering over his seat. She gave him a little smile before going back to her own seat.

"So...I take it we're filling in for who's stranded?" The Filipino concluded.

"That's right, my man." Keith Lee gave him a smile from the seat in front of him. "Let's steal the show."

__________

Something was definitely up from the get go for the fans. They had just witnessed Shayna Baszler ambush and attack Sasha Banks and Smackdown Women's Champion Bayley. Not too long after, Sami Zayn was just confronted backstage by Matt Riddle and Keith Lee.

__________

Smackdown...On Camera...

The fans saw Sami Zayn on stage, slowly walking towards the ring, breathing heavily and thinking he's safe, only for the Original Bro and the Limitless One to appear on stage, much to the Smackdown crowd's applause. Quickly, the former NXT Champion tried to run for the other side as Matt and Keith gave chase. As Sami reached the barricade, someone suddenly appeared in front of him. The figure took his hoodie and Kalisto replica mask off to reveal none other than Axel Trese!

"Axel Trese!" Michael Cole exclaimed. "He just cut off Sami Zayn's escape route!"

Sami was shocked at the sight as Axel revealed his NXT shirt right as Matt grabbed Sami and threw him in the ring. Keith and Axel entered as well, surrounding the former heart and soul of NXT.

As Matt jumped a bit to get his slippers off, Sami was now trying to appease the three NXT Superstars. He even tried to offer the Original Bro one of his flip-flops back, but when that didn't make them budge, Sami quickly tried to swing at Matt, who caught him and connected with the Final Flash!

"Final Flash!" Cole exclaimed.

"Right to the jaw!" Pat McAfee added.

Sami wobbled around following that knee strike before dropping on a knee as Axel walks towards the ropes, before running back to connect with the Critical Hit!

"What a knee to the head!" Renee shouted.

"Shades of his old mentor Shinsuke Nakamura! I'd say this student is close to surpassing his master!" Pat bragged.

Despite taking two knees to the head, Sami was still conscious, albeit rolling on the ground in a daze of pain. Matt and Axel shrugged and dragged him near a turnbuckle as the Limitless Keith Lee made his way to that same turnbuckle, climbing all the way to the top. The crowd was roaring with anticipation of what was going to happen next.

"Looks like Sami Zayn's about to go right through the ring..." Renee deadpanned.

Keith launched himself off the turnbuckle, performing a Moonsault onto the former underdog with an audible crashing sound on impact. Keith stumbled a bit as he tried to get afterwards, but sat down on the mat in style.

"What a Moonsault!" Cole exclaimed.

Matt and Axel helped Keith up and celebrated a little. The trio's individual themes then played in quick succession as they left.

_________

Following the epic main event that is Daniel Bryan vs Adam Cole, as the Panama City Playboy emerged victorious, NXT Superstars entered the ring along with Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Even Pat left the announce table just to be with his "compadres." As Triple H made his speech, Axel suddenly found himself in the back, walking around near Tegan Nox.

'Shit, I can't just break character now...'  The man behind the Strong Style Assassin shroud thought to himself, maintaining his enigmatic and calm character.

_________

Off camera...

"You okay, man?" Austin patted Xander in the back as they made their way out of the arena for their next agenda: Raw, or at least some of them are headed for Raw. Xander and some others were headed back to Florida for the next NXT taping.

"While we were all in the ring, I had the urge to hug Steffanie from behind." The Filipino explained. "Really had to keep it in..."

"Dude, just ask her out." Passing by them with the remark was none other than Shayna Baszler.

"Okay, how many of you know about my crush on Steffanie?" Xander asked.

"Just a select few." Austin answered. "Anyway, keep bottling up those feelings and they'll explode. You definitely would not want that."

Xander sighed. "Fine...I'll talk to her once we're back at Full Sail."

"That's a good man."

________

The next day...Full Sail...

It felt like just a normal day at the NXT Performance Center. For Xander? It was a little different. This was the day he was going to ask Steffanie out.

After a couple of hours going about his usual workout routine, Xander showered and changed to prepare for the moment he was waiting for all day. Walking around while sipping water from his thermos, he saw Steffanie lifting some weights with Cheree.

The Filipino rolled his shoulders a little before making his way over to that part of the place. Xander passed by some other NXT Superstars right as Steffanie noticed him.

"Hello, Xander." She smiled at him. Right behind her, sitting on the mat, Cheree gave him a look that said 'Don't screw this up.'

Ignoring the Kiwi, Xander smiled back.

"Hello to you too, Steffanie." He replied, keeping the grin on his face.

"Did you want something?" She asked.

"Umm..." Xander started. "Yeah...I, um..."

The longer Xander stuttered and kept saying "uh," the wider Steffanie's smile grew, likely humored by the Filipino. Right behind her, Cheree mentally facepalmed. The sight in front of her was just sad.

"Do you..." Xander started. "...watch anime?"

If life was an anime right now, Cheree probably would've fallen off the bench at that statement. Steffanie, on the other hand, had an eyebrow raised.

"Um..." She hummed. "...Yes, I watch some anime in my spare time."

"Okay...tha...that'sallIneedtoknow, 'kay, seeya!"

The Welsh beauty did not understand what he had just said, but it didn't stop Xander from sprinting out of the scene.

"...He's quite a guy..." Steffanie spoke up, a couple of seconds after the awkward silence.

"Yes, he is." Cheree told her.

Meanwhile, Xander had just lied down in the corner, clearly ashamed at that exchange.

'Former champ in New Japan, Evolve, and ROH and I can't even ask a girl out?' He thought. 'God, what's wrong with me?'

"You...are hopeless." A familiar voice from yesterday rang his thoughts.

"Thanks for the obvious, Baszler."