XXVI

AN: Full credit to the artist~~

     The sun had just started setting as we paid for our tickets. The fair really was a lot bigger this year and I felt my eyes widen at the string lights hung everywhere and across the walkways. Balloons and joyful screaming as rides whizzed by. "This is awesome!" Mabel shouts, the excitement I feel is none compared to Mabel's. Music blares and the food and game stands are packed, the lines for the rides are long and I didn't even know there were this many people in Gravity Falls. Many were tourists who just so happened to be in town during the best fair year we've ever had. Typically the fair is small, just some food vendors and game stands and a ferris wheel, but this is over the top for here, at least 7 actual rides and double the stands. I wonder what the special occasion is but decide quickly that I just don't care. 

     I can smell funnel cake in the air and find that I'm bobbing my head to a song I know that blasts on the speakers down the way. "We gotta find Candy and Grenda, they're here somewhere" Mabel says, her words slightly distracted, her gaze upwards at all the lights and banners. It actually doesn't take long, the girls were walking up the path and spotted us, tackling Mabel before she even realized they were there. "Surprise attack!" Candy shouts and Mabel shrieks in delight, "Girls!". I laugh a little at the display and Wendy pumps her fist in excitement, "What should we do first?!" She asks, ready to get going. 

     We head towards a roller coaster that's probably not put together very well but no one cares. I feel my stomach drop a little and my fingers twitch nervously at my sides. Mabel is pumped and jittery, too excited to even attempt to contain herself, she loves this kind of stuff, I've always been too afraid to go on it, but I want to try it before its too late and I don't have a chance to do it. Besides, Mabel's so excited, despite my distaste for rides, I don't think I could have told her no anyway. I've actually only ever been on one roller coaster before, I was 8 and I puked, Mabel loved every second of it though. I've gotten better with that kind of stuff, but I still have never tried an amusement ride again, but what better time than now, my life may be ending soon so I can suck it up, another memory to add to my mind. 

     Mabel hops rapidly in place as we are next. My stomach drops at the same time a coaster car on the tracks dips and screams echo in the air around me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified to get on this ride.... or any of them really. A song I hadn't heard in years comes blasting and Mabel looses her mind along with her friends. Wendy laughs and starts swaying to the beat. 'Sexy can I'. Jesus, this song is old, I can't believe I even still know the words. The bass pounds against my chest as it's our turn and we load into the ride. "Dipper! I'm so happy you're trying a ride!" Mabel shrieks over the loud music. Mabel had somehow convinced me to sit up almost at the very front with her, Candy and Grenda. Wendy and I sat in the cart directly behind them, giving them the very first car and us the second. I give a nervous laugh and wince as the bar clamps down on my thighs. Wendy shouts and pumps her fist again, nudging my shoulder. The carny shouts his spiel over the intercom, same blah-blah-blah, keep your hands and feet inside the car at all times, blah-blah-blah. 

     The ride starts out slow and I try to contain my fear as my stomach drops and then the ride takes off, the wind flies through my hair and my hands grip the bar so hard my knuckles turn white and I lock my arms. I realize I'm screaming as the ride swirls at a turn and dips upside down in a loop. Wendy laughs hysterically beside me. Mabel and her friends practically loosing their minds at the exhilaration. The ride seems to speed up again as we race towards the top and I feel my eyes bulge as I see the drop and feel my stomach in my throat when we plummet without warning. My throat is raw from the screaming but I find that there's a smile on my lips though I can barely see through the tears flying from my eyes. I hadn't realized that I haven't blinked since the ride started and the wind whipping my eyes makes them water, and dry out at the same time. My skin tingles and I'm glad we hadn't eaten first.