X

AN: Full credit to the artist~~

          I had woken in a sweat, my mouth gaped open as my back arched from the floor, my eyes wide. I gasped for air, desperate for oxygen, and I finally got it. A cold rush of wind fills my lungs and I collapse back against the hard floor. How did I get on the ground? I look around and realize I'm actually in the forest. I rest on my hands and knees, looking in every direction. Trees and bushes, as far as I can see. I scramble to my feet, still spinning, looking... confused. I can't figure out how I got here, did I sleep walk? I haven't done that since I was a child... I don't really even know where in the forest I am. The sun had yet to break over the horizon. It was cold out and I felt a shiver run down my spine. The wind rustled lightly, kissing my bare skin sending goosebumps down my body. The ground cold beneath my bare feet, my pants hanging low on my hips, a little too big and covering my feet. I trip over the long pant legs as I start to wander through the trees. 

     I walk for what seems like hours, the sun never coming any higher, the ground growing ever colder until finally I reach a clearing in the trees. My stomach drops when I see the lake. Okay... at least I know where I am now... but the only troubling part is... I'm on the other side of the lake. There's four docks on the whole lake, one in each direction. There's a very small shore on the south side of the lake, which is where I am. The north side, where we had the party was a very large shore, which is why we had the party there, there's more room. This side, there's maybe  four feet of sand between the lake and the woods. I stand at the end of the dock, the sky seems to get darker and the wind picks up, growing colder still and I desperately wish I had a shirt. There's a rustling in the trees and I turn around to look. I take a step backwards on the long dock but find I've reached the end of it. I cross my arms over my chest as a cold shiver runs down my back and I try to block out the cold.

     Everything grows quiet then... no wind, no rustling, even the water has silenced itself. I only hear my heart beating rapidly and my shaky breathing. I stare into the dark, foggy forest, just waiting for something to happen, but nothing does. My heart beat begins to slow and I start to relax, I laugh a little to myself, feeling a bit crazy. What was I so afraid of? This is stupid, I don't know how I got here, but I'm leaving now. As I take a step to leave a dark mist flies out of the forest, charging straight at me making a strange shrieking, whistle noise. It feels like the air had been stripped from my lungs once again. It tackles me and I go flying backwards through the air, the mist shooting straight through my body, feeling like I've been electrocuted. I hit the icy water and my body cramps at the cold. It hurts. 

     I had no air in my lungs and I went deep into the water. Everything happened so quickly, I couldn't even scream. Terror rushes through my veins as I desperately swim to what I pray is the surface of the lake. All sense of direction is lost but thankfully I was going the right direction and I break through the water. I gulp in the crisp air, making my lungs hurt. I could feel the color drain from my skin at the cold and fear. Shivering I tread the deep water, having been knocked at least fifteen to twenty feet from the end of the dock. The wind remains still but the air vibrates with a dark energy. My body goes numb to the freezing water, but I shake from the fear not the cold. A whisper floats through the air but I can't understand what it says. I swim in circles, looking for a source of the eerie voice, but find nothing. 

     "Fuck this" I say to myself, and start to swim towards the north side of the lake. There's a long way to go but I'll be damned if I'm going back to the south side shore with all the weird spooky shit going on. I'm going back to what's familiar. But I don't get very far before something grabs my leg. I go to scream but get a lungful of water instead as I'm dragged underneath. I kick out at whatever has me, but it pulls me deeper, its grip incredibly strong. Down, down, down I go. My burning lungs feel like they're going to burst. I know that I'm crying, though the water surrounding me washes the tears away. Whatever's pulling me down into the deep dark water stops. The hands crawl their way up my legs and I kick out, but it does nothing. The dark mass pulls itself up to my ear and whispers. "You belong to me" The voice is clear, as if we weren't underwater. My vision starts to black, my head rolling backwards as I close my eyes and then I'm being rocketed up through the water. 

     I'm shot out of the lake and into the air. I crash down onto the ground, landing on hard rocks. I'm on the north side of the lake... How did I get all the way across the lake? I pant, choking on the air and nasty lake water still clinging to my taste buds. I sit up, spitting salty water from my mouth and coughing. Wiping the water from my eyes I look out at the lake, horrified to find a figure standing on the water about 150 feet out from the shore. I can't help but gawk at the figure, noticing a hint of yellow. A boat rushes by and the second it passes, the figure is gone. My skin crawls 'You belong to me' it had said. I'm so fucked...