Chapter 17

When I wake up it was about 4am. I decided not to go back to sleep but not to get out of bed. I grab my chemistry text book so I can read over a few notes whilst waiting for alarm go go off. I not only went over my chemistry but my english, maths and economics notes.

When my alarm rang I finally got out of bed. I got straight in the shower. Once I got out of the shower I blow dry and curled my hair. I then chose out my outfit for the day, which was a maroon chunky jumper tucked into a black skater skirt. I then put on some black tights and my ankle boots.

I put my books in my bag and head downstairs. "Sit." Allison says when I walk into the kitchen. I sit down at the table where Victoria hands me a plate with a breakfast waffle on it. I smile and then eat as much of the waffle as I can. I ate the majority of it so Allison was happy about that.

3rd period I had a free period so I went to my grandfather's office with Allison. I need to somehow get out of being grounded to help Stiles with Jackson. We head to the principles office and wait for him to call us in.

"So who did you say you were studying after school with?" Grandpa asks finally taking a seat. "Lydia." Me and Allison say and sync causing him to smile at us. "We're prepping for our history mid term." Allison says and he nods. "History was one of my favourites, especially military history." He says and I smile softly at him.

"Ever heat the phrase, 'know thy enemy'?" Grandpa asks and Allison looks at me. "Its from the art of war by Sun Tzu." I say and he nods his head in approval. "Very good. Know what it means?" He questions and I smile before answering. "In order to win a battle, one must know everything they can about their enemy." I say and Allison smiles at me. "Right again." He says and I smile.

"Your uncle and your father and I happen to be having that very problem. We've got an enemy about which we know next to nothing. It killed one of our own, among others." He says and Allison nods. "We've heard." She says and sighs softly.

"Did you hear Jackson Whittemore didn't show to school today?" He says and I take a deep breath before playing of this massive lie that 'I know nothing about what happened to Jackson'. "He didn't?" Allison questions. "His parents called, and so did the police." He says and I furrow my eyebrows. "You two wouldn't know anything about that, would you?" He questions. "I've hardly ever spoke to Jackson, we're not best buddies. How would we know where he is or what he's doing?" I question whilst furrowing my eyebrows.

"Let me tell you what I know. I know a teenager's first instinct is to protect their friends. And I believe my granddaughters would always want to protect their friends, even if it meant lying." He says standing up and walking behind us.

"So, I want to ask one more question." He says and I turn on my side. "Your Kate's daughter so something tells me this won't work on you." He says and puts his fingers on Allison's neck. "I just need to get a sense if your pulse." He says and I look at Allison who was looking at me worriedly.

"Do you know anything about Jackson being missing?" He asks. "No." Allison says bluntly. "Is he in trouble?" Grandpa asks. "I don't know. I don't know." Allison says stammering. "Does this have anything to do with Scott?" He asks and I roll my eyes. "No. I mean, I don't.... I don't know." Allison says and I take a deep breath.

"Your pulse jumped." Grandpa says and Allison jumps up. "That's because you're scaring me." Allison says. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. That was definitely going way too far." He says and Allison looks down. "No kidding." She says and I stand up. "It wasn't right for me to use tactics like that. I'm sorry." Grandpa says and I grab my bag. "Can we go now. I want to atleast do a little bit of studying before my free period ends." I say and they nod. "I'll tell Chris you two are studying, don't be home too late." He says and I smile before stepping out of his office.