cxxvi.

Thank you for all the responses for the last chapter. 

Rhae's arms curled around her brother as the pair watched the Dornish army, the forces marching their way from the courtyard of Winterfell and through the main road that leads to the King's Road; their yellow armour bright against the muddy, trodd...

Rhae's arms curled around her brother as the pair watched the Dornish army, the forces marching their way from the courtyard of Winterfell and through the main road that leads to the King's Road; their yellow armour bright against the muddy, trodden snow. She could see Oberyn in the front, Alleras beside him as they led their army.

She felt lost at the sight of them going, at Oberyn leaving for Dorne once more and not returning until whenever he felt he was healed. The death of his daughters had rocked him, shaken him to his core much like Elia's death had all those years ago, and like he did on Dragonstone, he was doing what was right for his family.

Rhaenar had opened the letter, and stored it alongside those of Rhaegar and Eddard's in Rhaegar's chest, locking it tight with a key to only open when she needed to. The contents were secret, and that's how she would keep them. Aegon tugged her tighter, his hand rubbing soothingly along her back. "You can see him whenever, you know that."

She nodded, biting down on her lower lip. "I know that." Rhae agreed gently, letting Aegon's cloak swamp her. "It doesn't make it any easier."

"It won't, a part of you loves him." Deep down, Rhaenar knew that. She knew that Oberyn had been a literal rock for her through some of the hardest points of her life, she just regretted she couldn't always be the same. "Did you open his letter?"

Rhae nodded. "It's of no concern to anyone but myself." She ended swiftly, standing slightly taller at his side as the last of the Dornish began to march from the gates. They had a long ride ahead of them, the potential for it to get dangerous for them as they came close to King's Landing not leaving her. Oberyn was smart, and fearless; he would survive anything.

"Shall we join the council?" He prompted, leaving the conversation where it was as he glanced beside him; to one of the small towers that led to the many corridors of Winterfell.

The council, Rhae thought, raising her brows; she'd almost completely forgotten about it. "Yes." Rhaenar muttered in agreeance, nodding as she let Aegon lead her from the wall fortress and inside, where the cold wasn't as biting, and the snow couldn't settle in their hair. The Lords who had pledged themselves to her would be in attendance - mostly those of the Stormlands, Westerlands, and her own armies; she still had yet to let the Crownlands warm up to her, but in time she hoped their fractured relationship would heal.