xxxviii.

The next few days passed with no sign of any more attackers, not only Mero on guard but Ser Barristan and Ser Jorah constantly holding their swords as though one would leap from the bushes at first sight

The next few days passed with no sign of any more attackers, not only Mero on guard but Ser Barristan and Ser Jorah constantly holding their swords as though one would leap from the bushes at first sight. She kept the smile on her face coy as Mero passed her, the looks passing between the pair as they rode in silence, before Mero would sneak into her tent at night. They hadn't gone any further, Mero swearing to keep his word as he only touched where Rhaenar would allow him.

She bit her lip, her eyes looking forward towards Meereen. It was a monstrosity of a city, large towering pyramids bathing the houses beneath in long stretches of shadows; a singular golden harpy on the central pyramid glinting in the sunlight, hovering above all. The city sat between mountains, clinging to the edge of a rock formation before a break; two large marble harpies guarding a gate. It was a beautiful sight to witness, but the slaves that had died for it made it unforgivable.

They entered an open area, her Unsullied formed a formation as the Dothraki lined up beside the seige weapons in front of them; the size of the army looked intimidating. Rhaenar kept her grip on the reins as she rode forward, her indigo eyes refusing to leave the gate as she moved to stand a short distance away. She slipped down, boots hitting the dry earth beneath her. Ser Jorah, Ser Barristan, Daenerys, Daario, Missandei, and Mero behind her as she looked up; people lining the balconies above the harpies.

The gates began to open. "Are they attacking?" Daenerys asked, her violet eyes instantly soughting out Daario.

"A single rider. A champion of Meereen." Jorah explained, stepping up to Rhaenar's side to get a clearer look. She felt insulted, one rider? Was this the Meereenese way of greeting a threat? "They want you to send your own champion against him." She watched this champion ride out, spurring his horse across the open arena. The crowds cheered echoed around them, loud and booming like thunder as they saw their champion. He stopped in line with the first row of Unsullied, slipping down from the horse.

Rhaenar looked to the others, walking close. Did he wish to speak to them? He began to talk, Rhaenar not understanding the language as she looked to Missandei, her friend's face twisting at the words. "What? What is it?" She asked softly, placing her hand on Missandei's arm.

Daario answered for her. "I believe he means to..." He began to unbuckle his armour, freeing his... Rhaenar's eyes widened slightly; she couldn't look away, not with an audience around her and with the distance between them, she couldn't exactly see it. He began to urinate, Rhaenar's eyebrow lifting at the sight. This was Meereen's champion? A man who climbed a horse to ride all the way out here and urinate. She looked at Mero, the expression on her face not pleased at all.