cvii.

Rhae stood dumbfounded from her seat as she looked over those that remained seated, all eyes turning to her

Rhae stood dumbfounded from her seat as she looked over those that remained seated, all eyes turning to her. She didn't know what to do, what to follow on with as she stumbled for a minute on her words, her voice not quite connecting with her brain. How was she supposed to address all these people? When they'd witness Jon declare for her, and the spat between father and daughter. Rhaenar stepped out, a glare given to Jon as she passed. "A break perhaps? To give you all time to think on what you wish to do; whether you join us or you sit in your castles and pray that the North does not fall."

Various mutters greeted her, before the Lords of the Riverlands stood first, walking from their seats to a the centre of the Dragonpit, others soon following. Rhaenar's shoulders remained tense, her gaze turning to Jon as they led off to the side. "Why did you do that? Don't get me wrong, Jon; I am grateful to you, for what you believe in; but we came all this way so that we can show them the threat, my child died for this."

And she couldn't do that, if he didn't agree to what Cersei asked of him. "If we came all this way, and we can't get the truce we need to settle the Kingdom, then Vis would have died for nothing - I don't want that."

Jon sighed, their eyes meeting. "I know." But did he? He'd pretty much told Cersei to fuck herself if she thought the North would do as she asked, how could they possibly make it right?

"I'm pleased you tried to bend the knee to our Queen. I would have advised it had you asked. But have you ever considered learning how to lie every now and then? Just a bit?" Tyrion asked him, equally amazed at Jon's stupidity as his voice rose an octave.

Jon turned. "I'm not gonna swear an oath I can't uphold. Talk about my father if you want." Rhae's eyes darted away at the mention of Ned. "Tell me that's the attitude that got him killed. But when enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies. And lies won't help us in this fight."

Rhae understood the honour that Jon lived by, but one day his honour could very much get him killed. King's Landing wasn't a place of honour, it was a place that had seen more heartache and death than any place in the Seven Kingdoms. "I know you don't wish to lie Jon, but do you honestly expect Cersei to uphold her side of the bargain? As soon as the Army of the Dead are defeated, do you expect her not to pounce on us when we are weak? A little lie here, doesn't hurt an already broken truce."

The steely grey darted away, Rhae left to look across them. There was no way they could just convince Cersei to stop the war, not unless Rhae stopped her own fight. "That is indeed a problem. The more immediate problem is that we're fucked." That they were.