26. Too late

Amelia's POV.

After four hours we find ourselves in New York. I had only one month since I left this place and still it felt like I haven't been here for ages. I drive to the mansion, hoping that I will find Mrs.Darwin there. After parking the car near the mansion, I immediately get out and Jonah follows behind me. I go towards the big gate and the man who works there recognizes me and lets me and my brother inside. I ring the doorbell and the housekeeper, Elena, opens the door. She flashes me a friendly smile but I don't have time to act with manners. I walk past her and step inside the mansion.

"Mrs.Darwin are you here?" I yell, checking each room to find her. Elena comes behind me and tries to stop me.

"Miss, please stop."

I don't hear her, I just continue checking the other room. "Mrs.Darwin!"

"Miss please, no one is at home right now."

I stop in my tracks and turn around to face her. "Where is everyone?"

"They're at the hospital near the flower shop." She explains and I know very well that hospital. It was the one where me and my family were taken after our accident.

"Thanks." I say to her and storm out of the mansion.

"Amelia, is Mrs.Darwin okay?" My brother asks me with concern, hoping inside the car. I start the engine and drive to the hospital.

"I really hope she is alright." I answer his question, but I was saying that more to myself. God please, don't let something happen to her...

After fifteen minutes of driving I pull into the parking lot of the hospital and get out of the car along with my brother. I lock it behind me and when I am about to enter the building, I see Parker seated on a bench outside the hospital. He realizes my presence and I go towards him. I have tears on my eyes, hoping that I'm not too late.

"Parker, please tell me that Mrs.Darwin is okay." I beg and he nods.

"She's okay, for now. Doctors said that the cancer has evolved and slowly her heart is coming to an end. As you know, they can't do anything about it."

Tears fall from my eyes and I take a look at my brother who's crying too. He's trying his best not to, but it's not easy.

"Um, can I see her?" I look for a hint of emotion in Parker's eyes but he's just neutral.

He sighs. "I'll try and get you inside. Mr. Patrick, Ellen, Jason, Jennifer and Leonardo are inside and believe me when I say, they don't want to see you. I don't know what is going to happen if they do so please stay away from them. Let's not cause any scene."

I just nod. So, my assumptions were right; they all hate me now, including Parker who is trying to be nice only for Mrs.Darwin's sake. She had asked him to phone me and tell me she wanted me to come here. I don't know why she said that; to humiliate me for what I did to her grandson (which everyone thinks it's true), or just because I was there for her and she was there for me these past three years and she didn't want to throw them away. Even if she wants me for the first option, I don't mind her yelling or humiliating me, I deserve it.

"Parker look." I start. "I know that Leonardo told everyone the reason of our breakup but I swear it's..."

"It's not what it looks like?" Parker continues my sentence, forcing a fake laugh. "Really Amelia? I really thought you were different from the other girls, but not this kind of different. That's why you didn't want to be my girlfriend in the first place? Because I'm not as rich as him? How could you do that to my best friend? He loved you!"