24. Goodbye

Amelia's POV.

This year went by pretty fast. At first, it looked like every other year; work, go to school, take care of yourself and your brother, cry, blame yourself for your parents' death... Until November rolled around and changed my whole life. I never thought I would be where I am right now. It's funny how you spend your time making plans and life just decides to intrude and shatters them into a million pieces. Not that I'm complaining though, because usually life wants to make me suffer and cry the hell out. Surprisingly this time she decided to take it easy on me and, well, here I am. In the middle of New York with a rich and handsome boyfriend and with a perfect life. It is perfect, right?

When I first met Leonardo I thought he was just a vain and stupid douchebag like every other rich person. I thought his life was perfect and he got everything he wanted. But when I look back now, I realise that I acted like a moron. But you can't blame me; how would you act if a rich person acted like a jerk with you at first and then turns into a soft person, only to act later like a jerk again. But however, this belongs to the past. Now that I know the real Leonardo and the reason behind his cold attitude, I understand him better. It's not easy to forget a beloved person who was very important to you. I mean, if you asked me to forget my parents of course I wouldn't. Tamara was his girlfriend, his first, and I understand. But sometimes I think if he ever loves me as much as he loved her. He tries not to show it but I notice the way his eyes light up when the conversation leads to her, or when she enters our conversation out of the blue.

Also I know that he keeps their picture inside the drawer. It was over the drawer before when I came here, he always kept it there. I always noticed it when I did the chores. But one day I didn't find it. I don't know how I ended up opening the drawer one day and found their picture inside. I thought he was over her, until one day when he was asleep in his room I entered the room and saw him sleeping with their picture in his arms. To be honest, I felt a sparkle of jealousy. We were together, why did he sleep with the picture?

Also the day when he called me by her name. I convinced myself that I misheard it but I know it isn't true. He called me 'Tamara' and the part that bothers me it's if he realised what he said or it just slipped out of his mouth. I don't know if I am being paranoid or something but what else can I do? What would you do if your boyfriend was still in love with another girl?

Wait, he isn't in love with her anymore, is he? I mean, we are together now and he loves me.

I shake my head to clear the thoughts from my head and put on a smile as Mrs.Darwin enters the living room with two apple juices. After Leonardo brought me here and left to talk with Jason, I decided to drink something with Mrs.Darwin and spend some time with her. She hands me the glass of apple juice and I thank her. She sits on a chair next to me and she tells me thay my brother is asleep in a room because he was still tired from last night. I take a sip on the apple juice and Mrs. Darwin does the same. I'm glad that we have something in common- we hate coffee.

"So dear, did you have fun last night?" She asks me.

"Yeah." I nod. "Me and Leo had so much fun. He brought me to an amazing place by the lake where we could see the fireworks."

"That's gre-"

Before Mrs.Darwin can continue, Ellen calls her from another room. "Mom, can you come here please? I need your help!"

Mrs.Darwin shakes her head. "She's a grown up woman and she still needs her mother's help." She gets up slowly and I chuckle.

She leaves the room and I finish my drink. Just as I am about to put the glass on the table, Mr. Patrick enters the living room. He throws me a look and doesn't say a word, just sits on the empty chair while I throw glances at him. To be honest, I feel intimidated by him. Why did he join me though? It's not because he loves me so much and wants to talk with me, that's for sure. Seconds pass and Mr. Patrick decides to talk.