Epilogue

Wei Wuxian

"Lan Zhan, what would've happened if I didn't come to Cloud Recess that day?" I question as we finish playing Wangxian. Lan Zhan who was seated next to me disperses Wangji.

He shakes his head. "I don't know. The history will either be more peaceful, or brutal."

"And you will be a frustrated Lan Elder." I tease him. That makes him let out a soft laugh. I find him doing that often these days. "Keep laughing like that, Lan Zhan. You're even more beautiful." I say as I rest my head on his shoulder.

"Give me a promise, Wei Ying."

"What?"

"That you will stay with me."

I smile at him. "What if I get lost at once?"

"I will find you."

"You will?"

"Hm."

I rest my forehead against his. "Then Lan Zhan, I promise. I will never leave you. I will stay with you in everything you do. Even if we're at war I will save myself to come back to you. I will protect you when you're in danger." I pull away and look into his eyes. "And, one day, when you decide to leave this world and ascend to the immortal realm, I will join you. We will never be separated, Lan Zhan. For an eternity."

He kisses me. "I love you, Wei Ying." He says.

"I love you too, Lan Zhan," I say while pulling him for another kiss.

I stand up as I pull away. Picking up Suibian which I kept on the ground, I unsheathe it.

"What do you say, Lan Zhan?" I ask as I point it towards him. "Just like old days... Will you accept my challenge?"

He smiles as he stands up. "If I win?"

"Hmm, you can have me. And if I win... again you can have me." I say with a smirk.

"As you wish." He says as he unsheathes Bichen.

I am not a hero who saved the world. I am not a person who never made a mistake. I am flawed, scarred, but I know how to love. And in that, I stand or fall.

My life has never been fair, and it never will be. It has always been a set of sounds with no correct order. But I found a song that's mine alone. A melody that could tame all those incoherent noices.

My Lan Zhan.

Is there any other perfect life I could ask for?