Chapter 8 - Mine

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind."
William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

-------------------------------------------

Lan Wangji

Wangxian. Our song. All this time I played it to remember you, to hope for your return, to yearn for you. It never failed in making me feel what I wanted. So today, I play it to love you. To fall for you even deeper. To rejoice the fact that you're here. With me.

He's feasting on his Emperor Smile on the porch, peering at the night sky with his dark dreamy eyes. I can say that he's listening to my playing for the way he taps his fingers along with it.

His appearance is very much different from the Wei Ying I first fell for*. Much shorter and delicate whereas the other Wei Ying was taller and fierce. But it never mattered to me. For what I loved was not just the beauty, but the whole Wei Ying. Each part of him.

I stand up and walk towards him. Wei Ying looks back as he notices that the playing stopped, and find me standing a few feet away from him. He comes close to me and puts his arms around me, hiding his face against the crook of my neck.

His warmth... Why do I feel that it's all I want?

I lean into his head, tightening my hands around him.

I can't get enough of this...

"Lan Zhan, are you mad that I told Sizhui about us?" he asks against my neck.

"No. You weren't lying."

He lifts his head, looking up at me. "I didn't ask you before telling him."

"It's okay. You can tell whom you want."

He chuckles. "Lan Zhaan... what good deed did I do to make you fall for me?"

"You were you." And that's the whole truth.

He looks into my eyes in a way that speaks to my core.

"I love you."

"I love you too Wei Ying."

He places his lips on mine and I give in completely. I kiss him for all the time we missed, for all the love I feel at this very moment.

"Mine," I say as I break away.

"Yours. And only yours."

I kiss him again. We'll never get enough of each other.

"Let's sleep," he says although the urge to continue is evident in his eyes. But he's tired from traveling, and I have no intention of hurting him.

"Hm," I reply.

Wei Wuxian

I felt as if a bucket of cold water was poured on me when Lan Zhan told me that we had to meet Master Lan Qiren today. I'm sure that I looked visibly pale when he said it.

If it was another situation I would have liked to meet him. Although I admit it would be to play a prank. But meeting him this time meant introducing me as the partner of Lan Zhan. Which is why I'm pacing up and down Jingshi trying to send off my nervousness.

Lan Zhan taught me the tradition of the sect, and I've been repeating it in mind since morning.

"Pour tea, present to him, bow when he accepts."