Chapter 15 - More than a Night Hunt

"Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

--------------------------------------------

Wei Wuxian

These attacks were one of the strangest ones I've encountered. The cultivators were attacked by fierce corpses but without an attacker.

The fact that none of the survivors haven't seen the attacker alone was enough to be startled, but when it came to the person stealing spiritual cognitions, that was beyond strange. I didn't know any creature or cultivator who has done it except The Slaughter Xuanwu, but that too was with the use of Yin metal.

This is not something to be taken lightly...

"Brother let us look to this personally." Lan Zhan says after all the Elders leave.

Zewu-Jun looks at us questioningly.

"Brother Xichen, there's more to this situation than what I said," I say. "The only other creature I've seen absorbing spiritual cognitions of cultivators is the Slaughter Xuanwu. We found that out when we killed it."

"Did you find the cause of it?"

I find Lan Zhan's gaze and he nods.

I sigh. "Yin metal."

"The piece that was missing." He says.

"Yes." Lan Zhan says after a moment of silence, even though there was more to the truth.

There was a silent agreement between us to keep the truth about how I cultivated the Stygian Amulet, the truth about the five pieces of yin metal to ourselves.

"But we can assure that the attacker cannot access Yin metal," I say. "He's using some other source. We have to find what it is."

Zewu Jin nods after a while of thinking;

I sigh. "Let's map the locations of the attacks," I add to Lan Zhan.

He nods in reply. He takes a map and marks the locations along with their dates with his neat, precise handwriting.

While he was at it I realize that it had a pattern. Horror strikes me when I see what's coming.

"Wei Ying?" Lan Zhan asks noticing my expressions.

"I think I know where the next attack will be," I say, showing them how the attacks were coming close to Gusu. "Zewu Jun, when is the next night hunt for the juniors planned?"

"Next week, in the outskirts."

More words were not needed. They already knew that this will not just be a night hunt.

Lan Wangji

We decided not to call off the night hunt to not startle the attacker. Instead, we planned to accompany the juniors for their safety.

Wei Ying deducted that the person had no spies since his targets were the annual night hunts planned by different sects, which required no inner knowledge.

"Who do you think the attacker could be Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying who was seated on the bed waiting for me asks and by experience, I know that he's not expecting an answer. "More than that what is his purpose? By the looks of it, he seems desperate, because his plans are too obvious. As if he wants to gather up spiritual energy as fast as he could. Just like-" he visibly pales and gets lost in thought.

"Wei Ying?" I call for him making him conscious again. "Like who?"

"... Nothing, he's dead anyway." He sighs.

I sit next to him, waiting till he comes out of his mind, but he still seemed to be lost in thought. So I pull him on to my lap, and he straddles on me by instinct.

"Lan Zhan..." he smirks, "so impatient?"

"You promised."

"Hmm. I did." He says before I kiss him lightly, then with passion. He makes a low groan as our tongues meet, leading it to such a phase where it was almost bruising. We pull away to catch our breath and I run my tongue along the side of his neck, kissing at the bottom, leaving a mark.

He parts my robes and runs his hand along my chest. He climbs down the bed and kneels between my legs, then takes me in his mouth, and I shudder with the touch. Moans escape my mouth as he moves his head, making me melt in his warmth, and I grip his shoulder bracing myself for the release. He swallows all my essence and looks at me with his needy eyes.

I lift him, place him on the bed and kiss him, taking off all the fabric that kept me away from his skin. I prepare him while kissing his chest, which was already marked with the activities of the previous nights, and he moans with each touch. I take his hands, lace my fingers with his and hold them on either side of his head. He squeezes my hands as I enter him, and I'm immediately thrown into an unexplainable ecstasy.

I watch him as his body arches, the way he moans when I move, and the way he chants my name... I memorize each of them and cherish those memories forever.

"Mine..." I say as I dive down and kiss his neck.

"Hnn... Yours."

His nails dig into my skin as we release, and we moan in unison.

I keep my head on his chest and he wraps his hands around me, whispering "I love you."

He hugs me tightly and kisses my forehead.

"Lan Zhan," he says and I know what he wants to hear.

"I'm here."

"I'm here too."

-------------------------

Thanks for all the votes and comments.
Till next time...