Chapter 16 - Strange Encounters

"If you don't take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."
Drew Barrymore

------------------------------------

Lan Wangji

I don my white robes and look at the sleeping figure on the bed. Wei Ying hates waking up this early but today it can't be helped.

I manage to wake him after a few kisses and hugs. He drags himself out of the bed and grumpily goes through his morning routine.

When he's ready, he looks at me, while I tie my headband, as if he was deciding what he could do with me. Then he moves close to me and rests his chin on my shoulder.

"I'm sleepy," he whines, leaning on me, like a small child who's complaining.

"We have to head out now."

"I know, I know."

I put my arms around him and let him stay that way for some time.

"Let's leave." He finally says with a sigh.

***

As expected the juniors were waiting for us. They greet us when we approach and we prepare to leave.

"I'll be joining you today." Says a familiar voice.

"Brother Xichen!" Wei Ying says and I hear a few gasps and murmurs. "We're glad."

When my brother was out of the earshot, Jingyi speaks out his confusion.

"Why are all three of you joining at once? Is this a test?"

"Let's say it's a test for us." Wei Ying says. "What, don't you want us to join now?"

"We do," Sizhui says, hitting Jingyi's head.

Wei Ying smiles. "All right, then let's leave."

***

The night hunt was planned in the woods. Generally, this area is used to practice fighting when a group splits up. But today, I instruct the team to stay close to each other. They were experienced enough to fight against fierce corpses, but since we were unaware of the numbers and the capabilities of the attack, it was best if they stay close to me, Wei Ying and my brother.

We were halfway through the exploration when the attack started. It was Wei Ying who first felt them approach.

"To your right!" Wei Ying yells, and I immediately summon Wangji attacking the wave of fierce corpses. Following me, my brother and the juniors start fighting against them.

As planned Wei Ying concentrates on the dark energy trying to locate the attacker.

"Lan Zhan, that way."

Wei Wuxain

I close my eyes and concentrate on the energy flow. I could feel Lan Zhan's energy clearer than the others, the unsettled energy of the corpses, the energy of the juniors here and there, and Zewu Jun's. But I don't find an attacker. I concentrate harder on the energy of the corpses and follow the command, and there I feel it, just a slight vibration not far from here.

"Lan Zhan, that way," I call him and he follows me towards the direction where I sensed the attacker.

There was something odd in this energy. Something oddly familiar.

I lead us to the place where I felt it, but what I find is not what I expected. Well, it was less than that.

It was a man who looked nothing out of ordinary, but dark energy was dwelling around him. He looks at me as if he was dreaming.