Chapter 6 - Come Back

"I wonder if this is how people always get close: They heal each other's wounds; they repair the broken skin."
Lauren Oliver,

----------------------------------------

Lan Wangji

I wake up to find Wei Ying sleeping soundly on my chest. He looks calm. Calmer than I've ever seen him before. Something that I always longed to see on his face. He was beautiful, yet manly.

I push a strand of hair behind his ear and caress his face, gently kissing his forehead.

If you knew how many kisses I have stolen from you...

I try to move out of the bed to let him sleep a bit more, but as soon as I lift myself a bit, his grip tightens and he moves his head even closer. It seems, I do not have an escape. So I wait.

Wanting to make his sleep more peaceful, I do something that he certainly will like. I sing to him. I sing him our song. If a person could physically melt, he did.

I can't help but smile as I watch him sleep like a child who was having the best dream of his life.

After some time he starts stirring. He moves his hand over my chest feeling it as if he's trying to recognize what he's sleeping on. In a moment he opens his eyes and looks up at me.

"Did I wake you?" I ask.

"No. I was wondering what was so comfortable." He grins. "How about a kiss?"

"Hm," I say before giving him what he wanted.

"How do you feel?" I ask.

"You want another round?"

"Shameless," I say moving out of the bed leaving him alone.

"Lan Zhaan! Come back!!" He whines and I smirk as I move away.

***

We walk around Burial Mounds for some time in the evening. There isn't much beauty in the scenery. But for Wei Ying, I could say that he's enjoying something that I couldn't. Even if he had nothing he would still be satisfied. Because for Wei Ying, nothing is something. At least that's what I could interpret from the way he has survived after losing so much, which included his golden core.

Then we climb on to one of the highest cliffs which only had a single tree on the top. He sits on one of its lower branches.

"I used to come here every day," he says. He removes Chenqing from his belt and starts playing a bittersweet melody. He's hurting, I can see it.

The world never saw how much pain you were in Wei Ying. You hid it so well, but I could see through it. I've seen you breaking down inside, but still smiling like it's nothing. And every time I saw that loneliness in your eyes, I wanted to hold you, tell you that you're not alone. But I didn't. And there's nothing I regret more than that. But today I will.

I walk close to him and embrace him as soon as he stops playing.

"Lan Zhan" he whispers. There are unshed tears in his eyes.

"I'm here," I say. He smiles and lets out a sob. Holding me he sheds a tear silently.

"Lan Zhan, you didn't tell me how you got this." He says after a while, keeping his hand where my heart is.

"What?" I play ignorant.

"Your scar... Lan Zhan, what really happened?"

How can I explain when I know that you'll be disappointed with me?