Chapter 28 - The Impossible

"Just when you think it can't get any worse, it can. And just when you think it can't get any better, it can."
Nicholas Sparks, At First Sight

------------------------------------

Lan Wangji

"Let's sleep, you're tired," I say, a while of waiting till Wei Ying wasn't concentrating on his work. He was subconsciously rubbing his forehead.

Wei Ying hasn't taken his eyes away from something he was scribbling for hours, although it was past midnight. He has been working till late for a few days. He needed a rest.

"You can go ahead Lan Zhan, I'll join in a while." He says.

He has been giving the same answer for a while. Knowing that there was no use of further arguing, I decided to oblige.

I lean down and cup his face and he happily places his lips on mine. And I cherish even this simple kiss we shared. Because each of them meant too much for us. Every second we spend with each other mattered. And with everything we face, it has proved itself again and again.

I pull away and head to the bed. My eyes were already heavy, therefore in no time, sleep came to me.

Sometime later I'm awakened by the feeling of soft fingers on my cheek. I open my eyes to find Wei Ying's smiling face looking at me.

"Did you finish working?" I ask.

"Hm," he says with a yawn, reclining himself to the bed. He pulls me close and places his face against my neck, and I feel his breath tickling me slightly. "I think I found something."

"You did?" I ask, with hope whirling in me.

He chuckles. "Calm down Lan Zhan, your heart is hammering. Let's talk in the morning. Right now I want to stay like this."

I don't refuse. I hug him tightly, breathing his scent in. He places a kiss on my neck and buries his face on my chest.

"You make me do the impossible Lan Zhan... Uncle Jiang would have liked you a lot." He rambles. "Ah... I'm sleepy. I love you."

He was asleep before I could reply.

Wei Wuxian

Attempt the Impossible. The slogan of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect.

I guess I'm alive to prove it.

"There are only two ways to change the body a soul possesses," I say, sitting near Lan Zhan's table in Jingshi, explaining my plan. "First is to possess a body by force, which I'm not willing to do, so we're trying the second."

"Soul summoning ritual?" Lan Zhan asks, but it was more of a statement than a question.

"Yes, but we have to change a few things. Usually, the soul will possess the summoner's body and as a result, his spirit will be destroyed. But since the will of our spirit is to be free, he will not agree to do it. So, I was working on a way for it to be performed by another person."

"You want me to perform it?"

I nod.

"And you don't intend to let the spirit free either."

I nod again, with a smile, pleased with the way he guessed my thoughts just with a look. "I don't want to take a risk by setting it free. It was formed by my power after... err, my soul left the body because there was no one to control it anymore." It didn't feel right to say 'my death' out loud.