Chapter 32 - I'm here

"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."
— Maya Angelou

-----------------------------

Zewu Jun

I abandon all my work and head to an Inn which was in the nearest city to Cloud Recess, anxious and nervous about what I'd find.

Earlier I received a message asking me to come to this particular Inn with no trace of the sender. This quite startled me. With the events that have been happening, I did not know what could get worse. Especially since this spirit happened to be formed with Wei Wuxian's power.

I was more worried about Wangji. Losing Wei Wuxian is what he's most afraid of. Witnessing his death once was bad enough, now seeing his corpse almost alive once again...

I always admired the way he survived those years. I've seen him plenty of times near the fall playing Inquiry for his beloved soul, eagerly waiting for an answer. I've seen the way he breakdowns each time he doesn't get one. This time, if Wei Wuxian doesn't survive...

I take a deep breath and knock on the door. The door opens slightly and a person comes out.

"Jiang Wanyin?" I exclaim, not expecting him at all. He looked shaken, which gave me the impression of the worst that could happen.

"Come in," he says.

I enter the room. My eyes immediately fall on the bed. Wangji was lying on it.

"He's just unconscious," Wanyin says noticing my worried face. "You can come out. It's Zewu Jun," he calls out.

With that, a door towards the far end opens and I see Wei Wuxian, majestic in his old body. I never thought that seeing him would ever bring me this much relief.

"My apologies for the anonymous message I sent. I couldn't risk being seen by anyone. Not yet at least."

I nod and avert my gaze to Wangji.

"He overused his energy. He will be all right with some sleep." Wei Wuxian says. "And Zewu Jun, I would appreciate it if you don't ask him to explain what happened."

"Of course." I know that I had no say in this. This was a battle they fought by themselves. If they wished to keep the facts, so be it. "I suppose you need to take Wangji back to Jingshi without being noticed."

He nods.

"I will help you," I say.

***

Since most of the disciples were in their relevant lessons, we were able to enter Cloud recess without any suspicion. We take a route that fell through the parts of the woods where Wangji used to keep his rabbits hidden.

Wei Wuxian carried Wangji in his arms refusing every time we offered help. Even though he wasn't struggling, I understood why he did so, after watching Wangji himself suffer back in those years.

When we finally reach Jingshi Wei Wuxian lays Wangji on the bed. He sits next to him and takes Wangi's hand on his.

"Jiang Cheng," he says softly. "I'm sorry... for suddenly appearing like this."

"Don't be." His brother replies. "I should get used to it anyway."

I along with Jiang Wanyin leave Jingshi letting them be alone.

"You look troubled, Sect leader Jiang," I say as we near Hanshi.

"I'm fine." He mutters.

"All three of you are the same. Stubborn." I say with a chuckle. "Sect leader Jia-"