Chapter 26 - Two bodies, One Soul

"Maybe there's a whole assortment of impossible people waiting for me to find them. Waiting to make me feel the same impossibility over and over again."
Carol Rifka Brunt, Tell the Wolves I'm Home

--------------------------------

Wei Wuxian

I never expected for me to in a situation like this. This was beyond strange.

For, what's seated on the throne-like chair was nothing else, but my own body which I possessed years ago.

"Should I call you Wei Wuxian too?" I ask it, or him, or whatever I'm supposed to call.

Twenty years ago if someone told me if I'd be talking to my own self, while being in someone else's body, I would have called him a lunatic. But I guess, the world offered me another surprise.

"That would be unfair, wouldn't it? I'm just a spirit after all. Made by you."

So my suspicions were correct.

After my death when I didn't know where I was, I knew that my death was somewhat different. Even though Jiang Cheng found bones of the dead, I wasn't convinced that they were mine. Since they found Chenqing unharmed, I had a slight suspicion that my body should have been unharmed too, and it appears, it was.

Now, if my body was possessed, that meant, the power I had has consumed it after my soul leaving the body. And with the help of the spirits I've encountered in my very first visit in burial mounds, it should've been powerful enough to take a form of a spirit itself. Its dark energy could keep it hidden under the lava for years. It must have acted as another layer of skin.

Another layer of skin! It transferred its power to me mixed with spiritual energy. But why bother? What is it expecting from me?

"What do you want?" I demand.

"You." It smirks. "If I am to be free, there's a prize to be paid, to give this body what it belongs. And that is you. Possess it again."

"That's impossible. My soul will be destroyed."

"That doesn't concern me Wei Wuxian. You will come back to this body, whether you live or not doesn't matter to me."

"You don't have to do this Wei Ying. Let's leave." Lan Zhan says. He looked pale. I couldn't imagine what he was going through.

"Oh, I see." He grins "You haven't told him. Are you afraid of breaking his heart Wei Wuxian? But I guess, it cannot be helped, can it?"

I could not reply.

I have to hide it. How can I tell him?

"Leave now Wei Wuxian. Summon me when you're ready." It smirks. "I hope you'll live long enough." It stands up and leaves into a chamber behind.

"You-" just when I was about to call him back my heart starts throbbing again, and I cough out blood.

Why right now? I didn't even use my power.

"Wei Ying?" Len Zhan holds me, stopping me from falling.

Why do I keep fainting on him like this?

Even though I try not to worry him, I always end up doing so. I guess there was no reason to keep it from him anymore.

"Lan Zhan- Talk... to... Zewu Jun." I manage to blurt out, as I feel my body collapsing.

Zewu Jun

Wangji was always different from others. He always hid his emotions, even when he was a small child who didn't know what hurt meant, as if he knew that he will not have an easy life from the start.

And it was first proved by the death of our parents. Wangji was never the same again. He avoided the world, as if it meant nothing to him, caring only for a few things and reaching out only when it was necessary.

He remained that way for years, but with one exception, Wei Wuxian. He cared for him in a way he never did before. And I understood where it was going. If I say that I always liked it, I would be lying. There were certain times when I wished that my brother never met him. But when they kept coming back for each other, I knew that they were meant to be together.

I only hope that they can be there for each other this time too.

I was studying the sect reports when Wangji barged into my room. And for the way he looked, I knew that it was the time to reveal what Wei Wuxian told me.

"Wangji, where's Wei Wuxian?"

"Unconscious." He says. "He asked me to talk to you."

My heart pains with what I'm about to say and the impact it has on him. But, I do not have much choice, do I?

I open the door to see a troubled face looking up at me.

"Wei Wuxian?"

"Zewu Jun, can I talk to you?" he asks.

"Of course, come in."

"What is it, Xian?" I ask after pouring tea for both of us. He doesn't answer right away. I stay till he gathers his thoughts.

"Zewu Jun, I'm afraid, I will not be able to live up to my promises."

"And why do you say that?"

He sighs. "As you know, I was given a large amount of power by the spirit. But since this Mo Xuanyu was unable to produce a Golden core at the right age, this body was not strengthened enough to hold such a power."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"This body is dying. I don't have much time left."

I shake my head. "There must something we could do."

He gives a week smile. "I don't think there is. I can't remove this power without dying, nor can I possess another body. Even if I can, no one will offer theirs, and I doubt if I can find one that's strong enough."

I was shocked.

"In about two weeks, I will be dead. I can feel it's already damaging the body."

"But Wangji..."

"That is why I came to you. I can't figure out if I should tell him or keep him ignorant till everything is over. You are the only other person who knows him well. So I want you to tell him when you think it's the right time."'

"Wei Wuxian, he will not survive if he loses you again. Last time it was a brand mark, this time-" I couldn't continue. "Losing you is his greatest fear, you know that."

He winces at those words.

"I'm aware of the consequences," he says, "I haven't given up yet, but I don't hope for anything either."

Wangji only stared at me while I explained it to him. He did not accept nor deny anything. But I could see the same brokenness all over again. And when I was finished, he just turned and walked away uttering no words.

It's painful than I thought it would be, to see it all happening again.

----

Here we go. The big revelation... I guess.
Next update on Sunday

Till next time...