Chapter 30 - Parting Again

"You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it."
J.K. Rowling

---------------------------------

Warning: Mentions death

Wei Wuxian

We arrive at the cave which once was my residence, and I look at Lan Zhan silently giving him the message that this is where we part. He nods not bothering to hide his sadness, letting tears form in his eyes.

I kiss him, although one kiss is not sufficient for how much I need him. But if this is all I get, I want all of it.

I look into his eyes. "Lan Zhan, if this doesn't work, I want you to remember that you're not at fault for anything." I sigh speaking my least favorite words. "Thank-"

I'm stopped by his lips. "Not this time. You will come back."

Earlier, each time when we were forced to be away from each other I've used the word 'thank you' to mark a line between us. He hasn't objected during any of those times. But today...

I don't know if I should feel happy or anxious about his hope.

He kisses me and I push my tongue into his mouth, making it intense. "I'll come back for the rest," I say as I pull away.

That manages to form a smile in his grief-stricken face. He hugs me, tightly and I rest my face on the crook of his neck feeling his warmth as much as I can.

"I love you." He whispers. He kisses my forehead and leaves the cave without looking back. I turn away. I don't think I can bear to see him walking away from me.

I let myself wander around the cave, giving Lan Zhan time to arrive at the 'Wuji array' I drew some time ago.

I take a few breaths to brace myself for the ending I'm about to face. Taking Chenqing to my lips I play it to summon the spirit. When it ends I keep it on the place which used to be my bed.

"If we do not meet again, you have served great. Thank you."

I take a vial from my lapels which contained a venom, made from a method I learned during the time I spent with Wen Qing.

I have never been afraid of death. Neither am I today.

Lan Wangji

With each step I take away from him, I feel as if the air was getting heavier making it hard to breathe. Every inch of my body was asking me to run back to him and take him in my arms. I fight back the tears telling myself that I should focus on my task.

I was near Wei Ying's Wuji array when I hear his flute summoning the spirit. I listen to it, reminiscing all the times he played our song and the spark in his eyes when he did.

When it stops I suddenly feel as if a part of me was missing, in the same way I felt once in the Nightless city, and I know that he's no longer with me.

Only for a short time. I tell myself desperately.

After some time the spirit arrives. Boiling rage course through my body when I see him, enough to stab him right away. He was the cause of all this. But this was not the time to act on emotions.

"Burial mounds, interesting choice," he says nonchalantly while looking for something. Unable to find what it was looking for, it questions me. "Where is Wei Wuxian?"