Chapter 7 - Home

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller, The Ride Down Mt. Morgan

------------------------------------

Wei Wuxian

How mischievous can the time be? At least that's what I can say when I'm back again in the place where it all started. Cloud Recess. The quiet kingdom.

I knew that I couldn't and I wouldn't refuse when Lan Zhan invited me this time. But I have no regrets of coming here. Because I'm sure, hereafter I'll be quite content with wherever I am, if he's with me.

As soon as we enter the garden of Jingshi, we are welcomed by Lan Zhan's rabbits. I pick one of them up.

"You brought them here?"

"Hm"

"You seem to like them quite a lot," I say grinning.

"Hm"

"Lan Zhan, add some more words-"

"Senior Wei!"

I turn to look and find Sizhui on the stone steps of the entrance to the garden with a huge smile on his face. Now I notice how much alike he and his younger self looked. I feel my heart warming up for the kid who once helped me stay sane.

"You're back!" he exclaims. He runs to me and pulls me into a hug almost crushing the rabbit on my hand.

"Yeah, yeah... I'm back. Now move back kid, you're crushing this poor rabbit."

He moves away awkwardly.

"Oh, sorry... Senior Wei, where were you all this time? Even Uncle Wen couldn't find you."

Uncle Wen

"Is Wen Ning here?" I ask avoiding the question.

"He is. Hanguang Jun gave him a cottage down the mountain"

You did? So you've been planning to bring me here all along.

"We missed you," Sizhui says looking shy.

I smile "Well, I'm here now"

"Are you going to leave again?"

"Hmm... I'll have to leave if Lan Zhan gets tired of me." I look at him and grin. "I'll make sure he won't" And I can see his ears blushing.

You know what I mean Lan Zhan...

"Senior Wei-"

Since he doesn't continue I ask "What is it?"

He inhales sharply. "Senior Wei, I wanted to thank you, for saving my relatives back then. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here today."

The old memories burn in my heart. "You don't have to thank me. I did what I believed was right."

"Senior Wei..." he hesitates. Then smiles with tears in his eyes. "You can call me Yuan"

I shake my head. When he looks at me questioningly I say, "Let go of the past Sizhui. The life you have now is much better"

I know the past is hurting you. What you went through is nothing pretty to remember. I know that more than anyone.

"But does that mean I'll stop loving them?"

"Sometimes loving someone means letting them go."

Sizhui nods with tears pouring. Suddenly remembering something, he wipes them.