Chapter 54: Lights

No matter how far apart we are
Your light shines on me
--------------------------

Hana P.O.V.

My eyes were raw and blind, as a warmth weighed on my chest. My strained lungs felt buttery soft, every single breath I took was rigged, desperate to fill it with air. I tried to clench my hand, yet I had no energy to do so. My hands and legs, my whole body, even my mind, felt like melted jelly. Then I remembered. The memories came like a tsunami, overflowing my brain. Am I dead?

"Renjun..." I called out, desperate as I attempted to lift my head. I looked around in despair, yet it was a neverending path of darkness.

"Oh oh I'll be your home..." His voice was like silver, like grace, smooth and clear, quiet yet powerful. It conveyed a haunting feeling of knowing that his voice was brought out in a fit of rage, of sadness, of pain. I looked around again, and far, far away, a sharp ray of light was seeping in. I pushed myself up, gritting my teeth as I ran towards it.

"Renjun!" I called out again, this time louder before I stopped, a searing pain gripped my throat, ripping me from the light I so desperately craved and wrenched me back into the distortion of an eternal night.

"NO!" A scream tore through me like a sharp shard of glass. I reached out again, the ray of light becoming further and further away.

"Renjun!" A newfound energy filled me, forcing me up again. My eyes widened and pulse quickened, my heart thudding like a rock rattling in a box. The light was slipping away, and a voice in my head told me to chase it, don't let it out of my eye. Before I knew it, my legs were full-on pounding on the pitch-black ground. I had no idea, no idea where this was leading me, but I felt like I had to follow the light, I had to get to where the light came from.

Renjun P.O.V.

Just before I could start the next verse, the dull beeping from the heart monitor started to speed up. I froze in panic until my eyes saw how Hana's eyelashes were fluttering.

I felt hot tears gather in my eyes before I remembered the plan.

"Renjun, do you really want to do it?"

I bit down on my lip, hard, nodding.

"I- I can't hurt her anymore."

The rest of them sighed, well knowing they won't be able to change my opinion.

"Fine then. Remember to write a letter. Don't let her see you when she wakes up. If your going to do it, no turning back."

"Doctor!" I hollered at the top of my lungs as I gave Hana's hand a tight squeeze.

"Hana, I love you, I'm sorry." I fumbled my hands in my pockets as the doctors rushed in, taking my place as I backed away.

Found it. I took out the long letter, folding it into half, then half again. Gently placing it onto the table, I weighed it under a water bottle. Zipping up the guitar bag, I watched as the doctors did their job. From afar, I saw Hana's hand clench and unclench, her eyelashes quivered even more violently. The light reflected off her necklace, and a droplet underneath her eye. I walked over again. Wiping the tears off her face, I planted a soft kiss on her cheek, maybe our last.

I turned to Doctor Choi, pressing a credit card into his hand. He looked at me in confusion and I whispered the plan into his ear. He looked at me sympathetically, nodding hesitantly.

"She's going to wake up anytime soon, now scoot scoot." I gave him a sad smile and slung the guitar bag over my shoulder once more, heading towards the exit of the room. Before I left, I turned around again.

I glanced at Hana, and for the first time in 2 months, I saw her eyes. The pair of eyes that screamed for me. I flashed a smile. I couldn't trust myself to do anything else without breaking apart.

"Bye Angel, I'm sorry."

And with that, I left. No turning back, I told myself.