Chapter 49: Sleep tight

Shattered violently, an endless night in this memory
————————————————————————

"Hey Angel."

No response.

"How you're doing?"

No response.

"You feeling better?"

No response.

"It's so quiet without you."

That was a lie. She was here. But her soul wasn't. Even Renjun couldn't say that his was there.

The lonely boy let out a deep breathe he didn't know he had been holding and slowly made his way to the bed, taking unusually slow steps. Almost robotically, as if his brain was against his foot taking the next step. Yet all his fumbled mind could focus on the soft gently footsteps that echoed around the white room.  The room was really so quiet he could hear his heart palpitate inside his rib cage.

He stared at his black sneakers that came into contact with the floor, head angled down, almost afraid to look up. It felt unreal.

Tightening his grip on the bouquet of flowers in hand, he sat down on the bed, his hand instinctively reached for hers. It was cold and bony. Her once rosy cheeks, her once melanin skin, was now all pale white.

"I got you flowers, Jasmines, your favorite."

Renjun finally looked up. He eyed the tubes and wires that snaked from her to the countless machines. The mechanic beeping sound made him restless. It reminded him of a bomb, a bomb that was about to explode, counting down the last of its life. 

"Hana, are you in pain now?" He laid the flowers down on the empty bedside table. His voice was soft, comforting, as his hand brushed against her forehead.

"They said it might take weeks." He felt a searing pain grip his throat as those words were practically squeezed out. He still remembers the doctors words: A few weeks, maybe months. On the condition that she makes it.

No, he told himself. I'm not going to cry in front of Hana. No.

"I miss you already." By now, his voice was already quavering, his shoulders tensing up. His shaking hands gripped onto Hana's for dear life, as if he was the one lying on the bed, already unconscious for days.

"I-I'll visit you tomorrow.. Love you." He slowly released his grip on her hand, which fell limply onto the bed again.

He lingered for a while longer, the silence hanging.

"Sleep tight." He whispered, planting a soft kiss on her forehead before running out, the hot tears he had been holding in finally spilling out.

Tears blinded Renjun. He turned out of the room, running as quickly as his legs could carry him. Salty drops fell from his chin, drenching his shirt. His heart throbbed as he pressed his head against the wall. He was trembling, and he couldn't stop. Even as he pressed his hand against the wall it shakes, it trembles.

It felt raw. Everything was raw. The tears, the emotions.

It was absolute torture. Seeing the love of his life dying.

Hana, please wake up soon.

(A/N: Hi I'm not dead this isn't dead. I apologize for not updating this story for like 2 weeks because stupid Wattpad didn't let me publish new chapters for this. aN erRoR hAS oCCurRed they say.)