Chapter 15 part 2: The Past Is Present

Hana P.O.V.
The next day at school, Siyeon wasn't there. The next too. One day, I overhead another classmate saying she dropped out.

I had avoided Renjun as much as possible since that day. Even when my injuries healed and I started my training again, we barely communicated. Only at the most necessary time. I didn't know why we were doing this, but to me, it felt like it was the best way to deal with the awkwardness.

He likes you Hana

Renjun likes me. But he hates me. You know what they say, the more hate, the more love.

"Hey hey! Earth to Hana!" I snapped out of my thoughts and apologised to Ten, who was currently teaching me about the different ways to bandage an injured person.

"Sorry, I'm kind of feeling out of myself." I sighed and saw Ten's eyes soften.

"Is it because of Renjun?" He asked in a comforting voice. I nodded. He smiled.

"Well, if you're thinking you can avoid him forever, you can. But I don't think he would want that. He was really broken after that day. Not because of you, because of Siyeon." Looking back, I realised Ten was right. Renjun always almost never showed up at the table for meals. His hair was always in a mess, and those eyebags spoke more than he did.

Something tugged at my heart as Ten continued, "You know, he actually kind of lost interest in Siyeon when you came along, which surprised us a lot. He actually planned to break up with her that day." I looked down.

"He needs someone now, someone like Kang Hana." My head snapped up and I smiled confidently at Ten. He gestured at me for me to go, and I did. I ran. I ran to the basement where Renjun should be at now.

"Renjun? Huang Renjun?" I shouted as I entered the dark room. My eyes scanned across the room for the familiar figure. But he wasn't here. Just as I was about to leave, I heard soft sniffles coming from the above. I whipped around and realised where Renjun was. There was a ledge behind the stairs leading towards the basement. And I was right, he was sitting on the ledge, his back facing me as his shoulders bopped up and down. He was crying.

"Renjun, are you ok?" His body froze at my voice.

"Go away, Hana." His voice was crackling, but he still didn't turn around. Something was wrong. In the faint light, I made out his left hand holding a pencil-like object. My eyebrows furrowed until something clicked in my mind. I ran towards him, screaming as I snatched the blood-laced knife out of his hands.

"Renjun no!"