VI

Kenneth

Kenneth

It has been days since the killing of the Harrison's family. The neighbourhood was extremely traumatized by it, including me and Aunt Susan. Aunt Susan said that she was out at her friend's house when the killing occurred, and when she was on her way there... the murdering did not happen yet. I was more than rest assured that she was far away from the neighbourhood when it happened, who knows the danger she could get herself in when she was around here.

I have been wanting to read mom's and dad's journal and it was keeping me woke all the whole night. Thankfully, Aunt Susan did not notice anything missing in her room, not for now I supposed. I hid the journal and the picture of my mom and dad underneath my bed, it was a typical spot but for now it will do. My mind was aching to know what was in the journal. Something that could tell where they went, what were they doing? Anything at all to enlighten me what had happened to my parents. 

Sitting down on my desk with the lamplight shone over the journal, I stare at the black journal with my parent's initial on it. I have waited till night to open the book. Before this, I was busy trying to make sure that Aunt Susan did not suspect anything gone from her room. Now that it was over, she had fallen asleep in her bedroom and I can now take the time to explore the secrets of my parent's journal. I blew the dust away from the book. My hand reached the lamplight, pulling it closer, so I could get more lights in this dark room. The thunderstorm was piercing heavily outside, the rain was pouring loudly and was getting intense every second. My body shivers from the cold but I did not even bother about it nor have the thought to wear something thick to warm me up.

I continue to open the journal. My eyes were met with writings about a case happened in 2001. All these time, did my parents manage to solve the case? I go over the page, all were written with a messy calligraphy writings. My dad's writing. He always had the artistic touch to his letters. I scanned every page of the journal from the book, the case talks about a group of murderers, a form of an occult that wanted something. A source that could see the future. Some of the sentences were written in Latin. My knowledge on Latin was rough, it has been years since I took the language into my dictionary of languages. I tried to remember some of the words I learn from my mom.

*

"Mom, what are you saying?" I asked the woman who was wearing her glasses and with her nose peering into a book, saying things that sounded nonsense to me. She moved her gaze to me, smiling at my curiosity. Her hand pushed the book aside as she pay attention towards my little body.

Her hands went to her knee, getting a closer look at my small height. "I'm speaking in Latin, do you want to learn some words, Kenny?" I nodded at her, intrigued at the language... Latin... 

She puts her glasses down on the table. Her hand pat onto her thigh, signalling for me to come over to her, my little feet walked up towards her, and she picks me up, putting me onto her lap. I hold onto her arm, balancing myself on her.