IV

Kenneth

Kenneth

It was a Saturday afternoon, I was sitting in the kitchen with Aunt Susan. For the past days, I have never yet to see the black SUV car out in the neighbourhood again. Maybe I was wrong, maybe it was just nothing. I stared into the coffee on the table, the chocolate brown liquid swirling around got me thinking about the car. I just can not shake the feeling away. 

Aunt Susan was eyeing me from her seat, her eyes going from the newspaper to me. "Why are you so quiet today?" She asked me, putting away the newspaper to the side. Her arms went to rest upon the table, looking at me. I think I looked so puzzled and distracted by something that made her attention goes to me.

I glanced back at her from the coffee. "Aren't I always quiet?" I answered back. The answer was truthful enough. I was never a talkative person nor even have the tendency to even start one conversation with someone. It was always them who started the conversation, like this one.

She nodded, agreeing to my proclamation. Even when we are living together, I never really talked about anything personal to her. She asked about well, stuff teenagers do like girlfriends, boyfriends even, home works, basically things that made me a teenager. But never did she asked me about something personal, like what was my sexuality, how I should change my attitude or... what would be my reaction if my parents were still alive... The figure of what it was like to have someone older who asks you about things that made you stop to think, never really once I go through. I like to think that older people are wiser. Just a thought.

She shrugged at me. "Well, you'll figure out how to be more talkative... when you're going to college?-," Oh no. "-Say, have you decided any schools yet? Harvard? Oxford? Cambridge? What's the options?" She asked, getting excited of any scholarship that comes in for me. I have not really decided when I should tell her about it but I guess this was the perfect time. I hope she does not get mad, she will not. She is... a go-lucky person.

"Actually... I rejected all of the offers," This made her eyes widen in shock at me. I guess she was not taking it well?

She sighed. "Kenneth, why did you reject all of them. You could have pick one,"

"I- I don't want to. I want to take a break from studying. Maybe go search for a job or something," I answered, feeling undecided if I should have said that but I did. Lord knows that I thought wrong of her reaction.

"Kenny! Take a break? A job? Hey, wake up kiddo, you're a Knowles. There's no break, you need to go on and study," She snapped. 

"Aunt Susan-," I started, but she cut me off.

"You really think that this is some sort of game for you to just take a break? I did not raise you for you to just take a break from studying and find a job at some local store. Your parents! Did not bring you here to have you slacking around from studying," Her words crack me, it made me fuel with anger.