Chapter 199

Chapter 199 Lan Xinru's Challenge

The death of a maid in the back courtyard of the Fu General Manor did not attract any attention at all. If Mo Xuetong had not seen it with her own eyes, she would not have had a second thought about the matter. The amazing flower, however, became a hot topic. Outside the manor, the excited chatter spread the rumor quickly.

Only a day had passed, but the news had already spread far and wide.

Old Madam Mo, who had been sick for a long while, finally felt better in time for the banquet tomorrow.

Mo Xuetong woke up early to greet the old madam. She was greeted by joyful laughter when she reached the entrance of the courtyard. She could hear Mo Xueyan's voice. It was obvious that Mo Xueyan was the old madam's favorite granddaughter.

"Old Madam, Third Miss is here to greet you," a maid reported.

The old madam was cheerfully speaking with Mo Xueyan and Lan Xinru. When she heard that, her expression grew cold.

"Let her in."

They were in the Mo manor. No matter how much she dislikedd Mo Xuetong, she couldn't let Mo Huawen lose face. An elderly servant held up the curtain for Mo Xuetong to enter.

After her greeting, the old madam ordered Mo Xuetong back to her feet.

"What happened last night? It was the first time your second sister went to the Fu manor, but you didn't even introduce her to anyone. You told her not to go anywhere and then disappeared and left her all alone in the garden. Is that something a younger sister should do?" she asked coldly.

Mo Xueyan had indeed complained about her sister the moment she got back. She did not mention that the princess caught her trying to slip through the inner door, focusing on Mo Xuetong's faults.

Mo Xuetong smiled gently.

"I was indeed in the wrong yesterday," she said. "I told Mo Yu to take Second Sister around, but she went to the inner doors instead. She bumped into the princess and almost got into a good deal of trouble. After that, I was so worried the princess would punish her that I went to Grandmother for help. I should have kept a better eye on her and been more help. The blame is squarely on my shoulders."

She turned to smile at Mo Xueyan.

"Second Sister, please forgive me. I am not very experienced at this sort of thing. When I start on something, I forget my other responsibilities."

Interrupting the princess was no small matter.

Mo Xueyan hadn't even fully processed what had just happened when the old madam turned on her. Mo Xueyan had not mentioned anything about this when she'd returned last night. Annoying the princess meant, at best, a whipping. If the princess was deeply offended, the whole family could have been killed.

Considering the weight of the mistake, the old madam didn't give Mo Xueyan a chance to reply.

"Did you run into the princess yesterday?" she asked anxiously.

Mo Xueyan was frightened by the old madam's anxiety. She didn't dare lie but spoke with an obvious look of hurt.

"I did bump into the princess, but she didn't say anything. And she let me go after that!"

"The fifth princess did not say anything, but she did punish second miss," Mo Yu cut in. "She was forced to kneel for a very long time. After that, she even went to look for the old madam of the house. I was so frightened that I went to look for my mistress immediately. We had to tell the old madam about the situation before the fifth princess found her so we could have a plan to appease her."