Chapter 65: Counterattack

"Don't go, that's Third Miss Mo." Yun Yiqiu grabbed the maid's hand and said weakly, coughing twice. She avoided the glances that others gave her and held on to the maid. The maid did not know, but she did. Her aunt had once told her that her cousin wanted to marry Third Miss Mo.

Her aunt said that the only way to reestablish the Duke's Manor was for her cousin to marry the young lady. As such, she could not ruin her cousin's plans now.

"But, Miss, you are the one His Excellency loves!" The maid stomped her feet, feeling aggrieved on her behalf. Her mistress has been staying in the manor since she was 10 and had grown up with His Excellency. They got along very well and His Excellency would help her mistress find anything that she desires.

If her mistress was unhappy, His Excellency would accompany her. Everyone in the manor knew how His Excellency felt about her mistress. They knew that Yun Yiqiu would one day belong to His Excellency and they naturally treated her differently.

Only Yun Yiqiu understood that if she ruined her cousin's plans right now, not only would her aunt not spare her, even her cousin would be angry at her. As such, she could only hide the sadness and uneasiness she felt and watch as her cousin tried to butter up to Third Miss Mo who was under the veil. She scrunched up her handkerchief into a ball and comforted herself that her cousin loved only her. The other women were all being used by her cousin to reestablish the Duke's Manor. In the end, her cousin would marry her.

After he marries that woman, her cousin would definitely marry her and dote on her.

If there was a chance, he would definitely make her his main wife.

"Is this Miss Luo of the Fu General Manor? I was too preoccupied speaking with Third Miss Mo earlier. My apologies, Miss Luo." Sima Lingyun always seemed so solicitous and he smiled and spoke with Luo Mingzhu politely. He seemed gracious and dignified, and did not appear to treat Luo Mingzhu any different because she was the young lady of the Fu General Manor. Only Mo Xuetong could see the surprising joy in Sima Lingyun's eyes.

That's right. In her past life, Sima Lingyun had to go through her to get the support of the Fu General Manor since he did not have the chance to meet her cousin. He would definitely be excited to see her cousin right now. Mo Xuetong was not worried that Luo Mingzhu would be so blind as to fall for Sima Lingyun like she had. Judging by how Luo Mingzhu was tugging on her sleeves impatiently, she knew that Sima Lingyun's plans had fallen through.

"It's such a rarity to meet Miss Luo here. Since we are so fated, I wonder if I can gift you two ladies some gifts?" Sima Lingyun's postured, appearing on the surface to be a polite and gracious nobleman. It was difficult for others to reject him, especially coupled with his handsome appearance and polite behavior. It was not difficult for him to gain the interest of young ladies. Sima Lingyun was confident of that.

"Many thanks, Your Excellency. Your generosity is greatly appreciated, but my cousin and I still have something on." However, Luo Mingzhu was a tough nut to crack and did not like young men who pretended to be gentle and elegant. This was especially so for the Duke's son who had just tried to butter up her cousin and then her. It displeased her greatly.

Mo Xuetong stood on the side and watched as Sima Lingyun tried to butter up to her cousin. She felt disgusted by it as well, and her heart ached. She did not know if it was sadness or hatred. This man had ruined her life. His gentleness and elegance only appeared when he needed to please her. She also felt sick, and her heart was full of pain. She had thought that he was a true gentleman, but he was not.

"Sir Sima, if you wish to pick out some clothes for my eldest sister, then how about this? My eldest sister liked the shirt that you gave us the last time, and she will like it this time too." She smiled gently, hiding the pain in her heart. She pointed at a shirt hanging by the side and spoke suddenly.