Chapter 86: Mo Xuetong Kneels in the Ancestral Hall as Punishment

Mo Xiu cried as she hugged Mo Xuemin. Now that a fuss had been made, the maids outside had all heard her. A few of the more obedient ones left the yard and waited outside. Indeed, the curtains lifted in just a while and a nanny appeared. When she saw that everyone around had left the courtyard, she turned around with satisfaction and went back to mutter in the old madam's ear.

"Enough. Everyone stop. Are you all afraid that others don't know that something so embarrassing has happened to the Mo Manor? Why are you all making a fuss?" The old madam was stiff with anger, the veins on her face twitched wildly. Every family that had something like this happen to them would try to hide it with their lives. However, the two girls in front of her were creating such a fuss. She had thought that Mo Xuemin was an obedient child, but she was creating such a fuss right now. The old madam was furious.

Mo Xuemin sensed the old madam's anger. Mo Xuetong's words earlier had been too big of a blow to her, which was why her reaction was so different from how she usually would behave. She immediately knelt in front of the old madam and tugged on her robe, saying in an aggrieved manner, "Grandmother, it is Min'er's fault. It was because Third Sister said that, which was why I... behaved so irrationally. Please punish me, Grandmother."

She spoke gently, returning to her usual calm and composed self.

"Grandmother, it is Tong'er's fault. I was just shocked that Eldest Sister told me to admit to the mistake, which was why I spoke nonsense. If my grandmother finds out that a main daughter is taking responsibility for a concubine's daughter's mistake, she would punish Father. I do not dare to hide things from Father as well, which is why I cannot accept Eldest Sister's suggestion." Mo Xuetong cried. Who didn't know how to pretend to be weak? She even brought up the General Manor while pretending to be weak.

The General Manor was indeed distinguished and was not to be trifled with. They were also more powerful as compared to the Duke's Manor. She did not believe that the old madam would not consider this.

Mo Xuemin was forcing her to take the blame but had never considered that the General Manor would not allow the matter to pass if she was forced to take responsibility. They would make a fuss about it then, and who would be powerful enough to bear the brunt of the General Manor's pressures. The entire Mo Manor would be implicated in the matter. The old madam listened to what Mo Xuetong said and frowned. The implications of Mo Xuetong's words were heavy.

They really could not deal with the situation in this manner. However, if they did not do that, how would they deal with the Duke's Manor? The old madam was put between a rock and a hard place.

The old madam had been dealt with. When Mo Xuemin saw that, the hatred, jealousy and venom in her eyes grew as she looked at Mo Xuetong. She was just about to say something when Mo Xuetong spoke first.

"Grandmother, are you worried about what the Duke's Manor would do? Sima Lingyun had ruined Fourth Sister's reputation but refused to take responsibility. There were so many noble sons and ladies who saw it. With the Duke's Manor current power, there would definitely be many amongst those present that they cannot afford to offend. As long as we find a few of the young ladies and noblemen who witnessed the incident and explain matters, the Duke's Manor would definitely have to answer to us. Didn't the Duchess say that Fourth Sister had fallen and Sir Sima was just helping her? We can't just let them say that. We will see what the other noblemen and ladies say. Even if the matter was made public, the Duke's Manor would have to give Fourth Sister an answer. Why do we have to be afraid of them?"

Mo Xuetong knew that the old madam was worried for the reputations of the ladies in the Mo Manor. But as long as Sima Lingyun was found guilty for what he had done, then he had no choice but to be responsible for his actions.