CHAPTER 44

"Calm down Handan," I said trying to compose myself at my shaking daughter beside me. She was wearing her silk red wedding dress only missing her veil and crown before she was ready to be sent to her now-husband.

"I can't mother, I just married a man I barely know," she said shaking her head

"I can't mother, I just married a man I barely know," she said shaking her head. I sighed closing my eye feeling tears fill them up.

"I wish I could've stopped this from happening," I said shaking my head in disappointment in myself. I failed being a mother to three of my children, Osman, Mehmed, and now Handan.

"You couldn't have done anything Mother," she said getting up as her sister Zahra walked in gloomily

"Yes I could've maybe sent you far away to protect you or done anything to make him not marry you," I said counting my options that now were out of the window and far from being true.

"Let's get this done already," she said

"Let's get this done already," she said. I could see that she was sad that she didn't get the same big wedding as her sisters and that her celebration was much shorter.

"Handan darling do you know what this is?" I asked pulling out a ring from a box beside me. She nodded before explaining.

"Yes mother, this is the traditional wedding gift from a mother to her daughter, a similar ring will be given to every Othman Sultana on her wedding day, inside of that ring is poison" I nodded. She took it and wore knowing that she could be using the poison inside any day now.

"Do you have your dagger?" I asked. She patted her thigh where the dagger was strapped, I nodded my head sadly a little calm that she somehow was protected a little.

I took her to her castle and went back immediately to the throne's castle hating myself more and more each passing second.

I walked over to Murad's room telling the guards to inform him I was at the door. The one that got in immediately came back out and let me into Murad's room where I will be dining as we spoke about some important matters.

"Mother" he took my hand and placed a kiss to the back of it noting my sour mood which he too possessed at the moment

"Mother" he took my hand and placed a kiss to the back of it noting my sour mood which he too possessed at the moment. We both hated the fact that we may have sent Handan to her doom.

We sat down around the dining table on cushions. Murad started eating immediately but I couldn't find my appetite and only watched him with a ghost of a smile as he ate. My lion has been working very hard lately to prove himself to the world that he was capable despite his young age.

"Murad, I wanted to ask you how you found out about my assassinations" I started. He stopped eating and looked up at me.

"Both of them," I said sternly. He sighed placing down the piece of bread he had in his hand.

"I got a letter both times from them telling me that I will soon say my goodbyes to your corpse and both times I wanted to see you and warn you but in both times I was late," he said sadly looking down.

"No you weren't my lion, look at me I'm alive and well in front of you, you did a great job saving me" I placed my hand on his cheeks making him sigh before giving me a small sad smile.

He went back to eating, I could only manage to swallow a bit of water before a question that has been bugging me finally came out.

"Are you sure your sister is safe?" I asked moving my gaze to him. He stopped eating again and looked at me.

"Yes mother, all of the maids assigned to her were trained to fight and protect her no matter what" I nodded my head and looked down on the tray of food

The doors suddenly burst open and Karla walked in panting not bothering to bow to either of us.

"Ayse hatun is giving birth" I stood up immediately in shock with Murad. We both ran out of his room and to the room assigned to her where her screaming filled the halls.

"MAKE WAY SULTAN MURAD KHAN AND HASEKI JAWHARA SULTAN HAS ARRIVED" all of the girls standing in front of the room moved to the side making way for us. I stopped Murad from going any further and walked in alone into her room. She was laying on the bed crying out in pain as midwives ran around her preparing for the arrival of the new royal. I stood beside her bed patting her hair, I raised her most of her life and she was very dear to me.

"It's a son" but Ayse didn't stop screaming as the baby was wrapped in a blanket and given to me. I held my grandson close to me as he cried. He was very small obviously from being born two months too early.

"You make sure he survives and I will present you many bags filled with gold" I promised the midwife who took the prince from me. She bowed before walking to the other side of the room.

"It's a girl" I watched as the midwives tried to get the baby to make a sound, to move, to breathe but they were unsuccessful. The baby was stillborn, like my daughter, Orhan's twin. I had to compose myself from crying as Ayse burst out crying over her daughter.

Murad walked in and sat down beside her as she held their son, their surviving son. This was basically our lives, the minute you birth a son you have to go through hell to make sure he survives.

"What will you name him?" I asked watching my son get up with his son in his arms. I wrapped a headscarf around my head and so did a still silently crying Ayse.

"Ahmed, he shall be the name taker of my father" I smiled happily as my son named his son. Ahmed would've been proud of him if he was here, I'm sure he's watching us from the heavens right now smiling down upon us with our daughter and granddaughter.