CHAPTER 04

"Come girls stand in a line," Bulbul agha said clapping his hands causing a loud echo in the Harem.

All of the girls scrambled over and stood in a line beside each other, so naturally, I and three other girls who sat beside me stood up and walked over to stand in the line too.

"Valide sultan Handan decided to make a party for his highness and we came to choose the girls who will perform for his majesty. When we call your name come over and stand beside us" Cennet explained making the girls squeal.

Whoever they choose are lucky, I sighed sadly knowing I won't be one of them, I wish I could see his beautiful brown eyes again.

"Mehronisa" a petite girl with blonde locks and blue eyes wearing a pink dress ran over and stood beside Cennet excitedly.

"Roula" a girl with short brown hair that barely reached her shoulders walked over and stood beside Mehronisa.

"Yasmine" a girl with long curly brown hair skidded over and stood beside the other two girls.

"Last but not least Rose" I snapped my head up and looked wide-eyed at Cennet, I was so shocked that I forgot that I had to walk over.

Karla pushed me a little snapping me back to reality, I scramble over to the other girls feeling the shocked and jealous gazes of the other girls who were probably wondering why a newbie was chosen to dance for their sultan. 

"Now go to the bathroom and shower girls," Cennet said clapping her hands ending the gathering.

Before I could walk away to grab my things and follow the other girls to the bathroom as Cennet said, she herself held me back by holding my upper arm before looking around to see if anyone was listening before leaned over and whispered.

"The Valide sultan wants to see you," she said and was about to pull me away with her before she was stopped by another Harem agha who was definitely of higher status and I heard his name was Hagi agha.

"Where are you taking her Cennet?" Hagi agha asked glaring at her.

"Safiye sultan wants to see her" Cennet said trying to act innocent.

"Well, sultan Handan asked for her first" Hagi agha said snatching my arm away from her and started pulling me in a different direction before she could say anything.

"Don't forget your manners" he warned letting go of my arm before opening a door. I walked through to see a beautiful woman with brown hair sitting there looking at me. I immediately blushed and bowed when I noticed I was staring.

"So you're the most beautiful girl in Italy," she said speaking for the first time, she sounded harsh yet warm and that was kinda weird.

"Yes, your majesty, " I said confidently trying to act like I wasn't scared which I was.

"But I heard from a bird that you're not actually Italian," she said standing up and walking over stopping only when she was inches away from me.

"I'm English your highness," I said looking at my feet feeling too scared to look up and into her eyes.

"You can go get ready now, it's almost night" she said waving her hand which meant leave. I bowed to her before walking out and back to the Harem to get my things before leaving for the hmam hurriedly so I can keep up with the other girls.

After showering I was dressed in a beautiful pink dress that made me feel almost like a princess, I've never worn a dress like this before

"Come on girls let's go," Cennet said when we were fully ready and ushered us out of the room we were getting ready in.

I fastened my pace until I reached Cennet leaving the other girls about a step or two behind, I put my shaking hand on her arm making her look at me but she didn't stop walking.

"Cennet hatun I'm really scared, I've never done anything like this before" I said in a shay voice. Before she could say anything back I spoke again.

"What if I mess up, I know you trained us beforehand but I've only trained a little," I said almost panicking.

"Don't panic girl you'll do just great" she said swatting my hand away making me yelp, she laughed a little and I giggled alongside her until we reached the main doors to the sultan's wing that I felt the nerves come back.

Roula one of the other girls walked over to me and placed her hand on my shoulder comfortingly and gave me a small smile before we walked in.

I was the center of the dance so if I mess up I'll probably get beheaded. I took a deep breath as the sultan walked back in from his teras and sat down on his bed where two tables sat full of food and drinks for him. We started dancing the second the music started playing, I looked up for only a second and that's when our eyes met, he for some reason held my gaze and I felt trapped looking into his eyes and I couldn't stop, if I get beheaded for this then I'm ok with it because if his eyes was the last thing I saw I would be the happiest person ever.

I moved my hips along to the tune of the music and just as the music stopped we all dropped down to our knees with our heads down looking at the floor

Silence filled the room and the only thing that was heard were out pants, naturally, we were all a little tired after dancing.

A whooshing sound filled the room seconds before a purple handkerchief landed in front of me, my eyes widened when I saw it I know what this meant, it meant that he liked me and wanted me to spend the night with him.

I took the silk material in my hand before standing up along with the other girls and walked backwards until we reached the door, I looked one last time at him to see him already looking me, I blushed and walked fully out with the girls.

"See I told you you could do it" Roula said excitedly. The other girls congratulated me too just with a little less excitement and I understand them completely because if I was in their place I would've been sad too if I wasn't chosen by that beautiful man that sat in the huge room.

When we got back to the Harem all of the other girls were already asleep so we changed and went straight to bed with as little noise as possible.