Chapter 74

Kendrick

Frustration boiled in me. Felicity has been avoiding me for too long now. I can partly understand as to why she is ignoring me, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Every time I think I am getting closer to her, to being in the same room with her, she's gone out another way. Away from me. I just want to see her beautiful face again.

I'm walking in the forest, not really paying attention to my surroundings, or what's going on around me. Suddenly, a hand holds me in place, I look up to see one of my border patrols, holding me back with a hand pressed against my chest. "What, what are you doing, Doug?" I stutter in surprise at his actions. He's never done something like this before.

"I'm sorry, Alpha, but I don't think you want to walk further. You might not like what you see."

"Well, you don't get to decide that for me," I say in outrage. I flick the hand that was holding me back off me with one hand.

"I know, Alpha, but with all that has gone on with your mate, I'm just worried that you might react in a way you'll regret. The whole pack knows she's been avoiding you like the plague." I look into his eyes and see genuine concern, but I know that anything that involves my mate I need to know about, even if I don't like it.

Doug sees the resolve in my eyes, and without me needing to say so, he steps back and lets me pass. Knowing I need to see what's going on. I quickened my pace, and I quickly understood why Doug cautioned me. A man I do not know is kissing my mate while his hand is touching a place on her body that I alone should have permission to.

My mouth is moving before I can even stop it. "GET. OFF. MY. MATE!" The man froze all movement, but that was it. It was my mate who turned her face towards me.

I risked a glance away from this intruder to look at my mate to make sure she was okay. The fear that was once in her eyes faded away as our eyes made contact. The anger in me faded as I felt reassured that she was fine and unharmed. "What are you doing on my property wolf, molesting MY MATE! Who are you and what do you want? I suggest you think and answer wisely."

Nothing happened for a few moments, but once my voice and words registered in his ears, it's like I hit fast forward to this situation. The man jumped back so quickly he almost fell flat on his back but caught himself against a tree. I would have laughed if not for the fury electrifying my veins. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the corners of Felicity's mouth twitch.

"Oh! I-I- didn't-" That was all that came from him. I could see the realization of what he had done flicker through his eyes.

"Felicity, please come to me." I extend my hand to her, and she quickly walked over, taking my hand and standing beside me. "Well, I'm waiting for an answer, wolf. I know you are from her old pack. The scent is familiar, but I don't see why you are here. Without permission from the Alpha, who also happens to have found you with your hand down his mate's pants. I suggest you speak quickly because the longer you take to answer, the worse the case will be for you."

He glances appealingly towards my mate, looking for help, "don"t look at her, look at me! I demand an explanation!"

Felicity begins to laugh uncontrollably and seems unable to stop as she rests her hands against her knees after releasing herself from my grasp while simultaneously looking at the man who now stands decidedly uncomfortable, I can't help but begin to crack a smile at the sound of my mate's laugh. It's as if all is right in the world as long as I can hear that sound forever. "Ke-Kendrick, don't be too hard on Lance. Lance, I suppose in your rush over here, you didn't stop to hear that I didn't leave the pack because of Warren and Lana. I left because I found my mate in Lana's cousin, Kendrick." She directs her hand towards me.