Chapter 38

Kendrick's POV.

I'm back at my pack walking around my territory, and my attention is caught by some of the women of my pack watching over the children playing outside. I look away quickly thinking about my mate, we could have one day had that but she threw it all away because she couldn't let go of her 'wild life'. How could I have misjudged her so wrongly, she seemed so excited to come back here with me and yet before I even returned she was sleeping with someone else, someone else that brought her to complete ecstacy, someone who is not me. I press my hand to my chest, remembering the pain inflicted on me because of her cheating.

I try to let hate build in my heart but I can't, my feelings for her have already grown so strong. No, I do no love her as that would be too strong a word to use in the short amount of time I have known her but, I did...no still do care for her very much, more than I ever have anyone before. It is not like in the books where people fall in love almost upon first sight, real love isn't like that, it takes time to grow and mature. True love is not something that can be forgotten quickly but remains in one's heart for the rest of time once it has been found. A love that I would find just as my parents had, one that is now a pain to see shared between them each day.

I had hoped so deeply that once I had found my mate I could grow to love her but Felicity...no I will not call her that, Licy didn't even give us a chance. I thought I felt feelings growing between us but I guess I was wrong. To know that I will never have the kind of love I see every day is something that I will now have to live with.

I continue my walk and avoid seeing the loving mates' and children around the field. My phone rings suddenly and I silently thank the one calling for distracting me from my melancholy thoughts. Without looking I answer the call "Kendrick speaking." A loud and almost hysterical voice greets me, "Drik- Kendrick you must return as quickly as you can. Something bad has happened to Felicity."

My wolf jumps up in attention to the possibility of our mate being hurt but I ignore him "and why should I care? She cheated on me and then was rejected by me. I don't see how this concerns me anymore" I answer Lana rudely.

"Kendrick you fool! I told you there was more to her story! She told me everything, and by everything I mean all the gory details. When I thought there was a reason for her getting between Warren and I, I never imagined it to be as badly as this." I hear Lana begin to weep and fear begins to set into my chest "tell me Lana, what is it? What happened to Felicity?!" Oh, I'm back to calling her Felicity am I? "I can't tell you over the phone, I haven't even told Warren. I wouldn't be saying anything if she wasn't gone. She told me not to say anything but I just have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach."

I felt Felicity find her ecstacy late last night so I didn't think much of it, even though I rejected her it would take some time for my awareness of her to fade but now I'm confused about this. I've never doubted Lana when she gets bad feelings, whenever she had them in the past she was never wrong but all of this is so confusing. "Okay I'm coming, I should be there soon. I'll leave right now, make sure Warren knows I'm coming." Without waiting for her answer I hang up and run to the pack house, I rush into the house calling for my Beta "Raggavard! Raggavard come here right now."

My Beta comes running down the stairs quickly, "I'm going to be leaving for- I don't know how long but I need you to take over the pack temporarily again and would you ask your mate to pack a few things for me and then send more clothes after I leave?" My Beta nods quickly to me, "Sure thing Alpha, Latmina is already packing for you. She should be on her way down in a few seconds." He was correct as we both turns to look up the stairs to the sound of footsteps, Latmina came running down with a well filled duffle bag over her shoulder "here you are Alpha, have a safe drive." I silently thank her with a nod and turn to leave "take care of my pack you two," although we three have been friends since high school they knew I was in a serious state and knew to address me as Alpha.