Chapter 65

Kendrick's POV.

While confessing my feelings for her I see a gleam of happiness in her eyes but the minute I ask her to marry me it is like in a second it's all gone. No feeling, just nothing. As I take a closer look into her eyes I see an also imperceptible glimpse of a feeling I never thought I'd see appear in her again...fear. I almost rise out of my kneeling position to reach out to her; she falters and takes two steps back. My smile falls and I feel my heart beat hard in my chest, all I can think is 'come back to me my love, with me there is nothing to fear' I slowly put the roses down on the ground and in that second I understand what she's scared of. Kneeling before her I grab her hands and bring one to my lips, "it's okay. We have the rest of our lives together. Think about what I've asked and take your time." I look up to her with love in my eyes to let her know it's okay.

"No," she whispers. My heart clenches in my chest and I hear everyone in the now silent room gasp. Almost to quietly she goes on, "I don't need time to think about my answer."

Finally she looks at me and I see it, the very thing I hoped to see. There is a lightness in her eyes, and a joy beyond all measure I could never have imagined.  By the look on her face it feels as if every bit of love she has for me shines through, I'm almost overwhelmed by its brightness. Everything around me dims with her standing before me with a soft smile on her lips, she has never looked more beautiful to me than right now. While keeping a tight grip on my hands to steady her she begins to lean forward and descends to her knees.

Now facing each other on our knees she speaks, "My answer is yes. I'm scared, more scared than I have ever been in my life- all things considered- but I never imagined I could be this happy, that I could ever have someone love me the way you do. I don't care what anyone else says, I can't go on without you. You are everything I could have ever hoped for. You are my safety, my strength, my warrior. I love all of you and only you. I couldn't imagine anything better than putting on a dress and walking down an aisle towards you and tying my life to your's forever. Of course I will marry you Kendrick, my dearest love."

I don't let her say another word, while wrapping my right arm around her waist I grab a fist pull of her golden locks and seal our promise with a passionate kiss in my excitement. Clapping and cheering is heard from around us and after a couple moments I pull back and look around at everyone who has smiles on their faces. A mixture of familiar and unfamiliar faces clap in joy for us, and I smile brightly in thanks for their wordless congratualtions.

I look back at my bride to be and see a look of shock in her expression. "I didn't realize we had an audience, I totally forgot where we were. Drik, this is so surreal," she says looking back at me with a mystified smile on her lips. I quickly get up and pull her up slowly after me, making sure she doesn't trip. "I think it's high time we leave, we have a lot to do, my fiancé." I never thought how much I would like the sound of those words leaving my lips. Truthfully, I never imagined myself getting married, I could never picture myself with a mate.

I never saw myself as the type of guy who would meet the right woman, get married, build a life together and start a family. It's true, when you find the right woman everything else falls into place. I can't imagine what my life would be like without her, all I can see is what can be with her.

"Alright let's head out," I intertwine my fingers with hers, grabbing her left hand that wears the treasure signifing our impending life bond. As we walk through the crowd of friends, pack members and strangers we are given many variations of congratulations. I can't seem to able to wipe the happy smile off my face. As we walk to Warren's car -which I arrived in with everyone else- I press Felicity onto the side of the car and press my body against hers. I grab her face in my hands, lean in and kiss her with a sweet but deep kiss. Her arms wrap around me and hold me tight to her, her grip is strong but I'm enjoying the proximity of our bodies. Being close to her and holding her tight against me is quickly becoming one of my favourite things. Every inch of me is in contact with her and I can't help but feel complete contentment.

Of course it is at that moment that a squeal is heard from our right and is progressively getting closer to our leaning forms. It's times like this I wish my cousin didn't have her trademark habit of appearing at the worst possible moment. "I can't believe it! You're engaged! Felicity, we're going to be family! I can't wait for you to have babies, I get to be an auntie! Well not really because Drik and I are cousins but you get what I mean." She rants as she grabs my mate and pulls her away from me with a huge tug and a shake. Felicity is quickly pulled into Lana's tight embrace and Lana sways them into an awkward happy dance.

I see Felicity tap Lana on her shoulder and mouth something but I'm not sure what, Lana seems to understand though as she quickly let's go of my mate. It all makes sense to me when Felcity takes in gasping breaths, I laugh loudly which earns me a seething glare from Felicity and she slaps me on the back of my head in annoyance. I flinch and rub my newly made injury.

"Did you just laugh at the murderous attempt on my life Kendrick! To think you just said you wanted to marry me, you almost lost your future wife at the hands of your own family member!" At her words we both freeze in surprise. Wife. By the expression on my mate's face I'm pretty sure we both realize that's what she will be, my wife. The reality is a shock to my system and it looks to be affecting her the same way.

I look deeply into her eyes and I can't help but feel my heart swell in love and pride. "My wife," I stand their stunned for a few minutes until the sound of Warren's laughter pulls me out of it. "Ha ha! Felicity to think we will be family one day! It may be an extremely strange thought but I can't say it isn't a pleasant one. After all that's happened you are one of my best friends. It's still really weird if you think about it though." At his words my mate snaps out of her trance and laughs along with him, "that is really weird! It's a good thing we're friends, although one's who had a long standing sexual relationship. I can't say I'm not happy either, I think the idea is growing on me. It just feels fitting and right, doesn't it? Both of our lives ending up well. Who knows, maybe this is why we had a weird connection! We were always meant to be somehow connected!" I shake my head at these two buffoons, only they would find humour in the strangest of circumstances.

As her humour settles I notice Felicity looking around and I wonder what she's looking for but I don't have to wonder for long before she voices her thoughts. "Hey, where's Dan? Isn't he coming with us?" My obnoxious little cousin squeals happily again, "that's the other exciting thing! This night is just full of wonderful surprises, you'll never guess what's happened!"

She looks at Warren and then back at Felicity. Warren smiles broadly as he looks at my mate, by his look I can already guess as to what he's going to say. "He's not here because he's currently busy getting to know his mate. It's seems after the whole proposal debacle on our way out he ran into a girl and found his mate in her. It's no wonder he kept smelling the air and asking if the rest of us smelt it. Who ever thought Dan would find his mate, a human too of all thing! He always thought he's find his mate in another wolf, never imagined himself with a human. This must be quite a shock for him, one he seems to be really happy about too. Felicity you remember how he was always so against humans and werewolves mating, seems he had another thing coming."

Felicity's mouth is gaping open in surprise until she finally finds the ability to answer to his last few words with a frown, "he better not snap back into that stupid way of thinking and reject her. I told him to be careful with his words about mating with humans, every human/werewolf mating I've ever seen has been amazing. I will kick his butt if he let's her go."

"Truthfully Liss, I don't think he will. If you saw the look on his face when he caught her scent you would have no doubt that he didn't care. I think thanks to you he's changed his mind about a lot of things. You really taught all of us you can't judge a book by its cover, that its what is inside that counts," he says with a serious expression.

A frown mars my mate's face and I see her caught in her own mind. The haunted look in her eyes telling me her thoughts have slipped into her past. I quickly full her into my arms and kiss her lips, cheek, forehead and nose drawing her back to me. I can tell the minute she's back with us, Warren quickly realizes what happened and regret flashes through his eyes. "Liss- I-I'm sorry," she shakes her head slightly waving a hand at him "it's okay Warren, I know you didn't mean to. I just have to start letting things go and not let it effect me so much."

I'm so proud at her words but I think later tonight or tomorrow I will have to talk to her about where she's at and how she's feeling. She's clearly still struggling with her past and the experience of taking a life. Taking a life is never easy, and letting her deal with this alone is not something I will allow. I will be there every step of the way.